As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, March 24, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Friday, March 24

1. Finally got to meet my new students at Eumbong Elementary School. The past two Friday’s I’ve been business with business trips, first to Thailand for the visa run and than last Friday with registration at Daejon Immigration.
2. My first impression of the Vice Principle was “oh no, he doesn’t like me”. He made somewhat of a big issue about my indoor shoes and kept on repeating “soft shoes”. I was embarrassed and so I played it off like his English made no sense and made sure at lunch not to sit nere him if he was there.
3. Turns out my Eumbong E.S. classes (grade 5 and 6) are small classes of about 20 students and they stare at me just as much as the Wollang elementary kids in the lunchroom.
4. Still confused as to why the name “Jennifer” and “Jess” is so funny. I happen to like the name Jennifer, don’t care for Jess, but whenever I read out possible English names they can select from those two names always get the classes laughing. Sorry Jenn. I think you’re name is pretty.
5. First day of teaching Eumbong E.S. students and already I’m receiving gifts. Got this really cool mini bottle with a flower in it. I think I’m suppose to wear it on a necklace.
6. Coffee time after lunch with the staff was exactly what I needed. I hadn’t had a first good impression of the school and was kind of sad about that. Coffee time gave me a chance to bond a bit with these three select male teachers in a much more relaxed atmosphere.
7. No matter what I feel of think about the elementary schools I teach at, it always feels good to return to Eumbong Middle School. I’ve really bonded with the teachers and students. It’s like a second home.
8. Mr. Science Man had an appointment and so he couldn’t drive me the whole way home, no problem though. He dropped me off at the bridge right before downtown and so I took this opportunity to go explore some of the shops.
9. My big mistake for the day was entering some pet store. I was lured in by these two Korean guys who looked straight out of some punk band from the 80’s. They stood there at the stoplights with two puppies and so I just had to pet the little guys… the dogs that is. And that’s when they insisted I go inside and look at the other puppies, so I did. Fortunetly I have more willpower today than I have had on other days and so no, I didn’t walk out with that little pug that was yelling at me, “Take me home Amy. I’ll be a good boy”. Well I thought he was yelling that at me but that’s when flashes of Daewoo eating my wallpaper popped in my mind and rescued me!
10. Any plans for the night got stomped out when I misplaced my foot on my stairs (in my apartment) and came crashing down. I landed on my back and my head seemed to bounce off the floor a few times.


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Maybe if we were the last two people on earth and there was no sheep. Are there sheep?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Some things are true whether you believe in them or not.
-- from the movie "City of Angels"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awww thanks amy teacher!
i like my name...but with no f in the korean language my name is "jenny-pour" or as my one student said one time "jenny-one, jenny-two, jenny three, jenny-four...thats you" hahaha