As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Monday, March 20

1. Discovered I don’t know how to count when I sat back and counted the days since my and Ryan’s first kiss. Now I know why my highschool math teacher, Mr. Eaton, passed me. It must have been cause I was cute cause I now see just how much I suck with numbers… ha, ha, ha. Thanks Mr. Eaton, so kind.
2. While sitting in my English room I was suddenly bombarded with some kind of military wake-up call and some dude yelling “1-2-3-4… 10” in Korean. It scared the heck out of me and so I went in search of the source. Turns out someone forgot to tell me of their new stretching time during third period that apparently the WHOLE school takes part it. I’m sorry but I just couldn’t stop laughing.
3. Turns out there’s this unusual golden rule among us staff. Apparently if you buy a new piece of clothing then you’re responsible for buying everyone some food the next day. On Friday it was bread because one teacher bought a dress and today our VP gave us all ice cream drumsticks because last night he bought some new ties. Yup… I’m definitely living on the flipside!
4. Hosted an in-class writing contest for my new ePALS English club I’m starting up. My pride and joy from my level one classes, Lyndia, was so nervous that she ended up text messaging my cell after school. Don’t worry Lyndia, you rocked that contest!!!
5. Much to my surprise, Troublesome Timmy wasn’t troublesome at all today. He even volunteered to collect my pencils and wrote a great contest entry piece. Thanks to my co-teacher for talking to him for me.
6. Today is Ryan’s last day being 29 years old and he spent it up on a cold mountain doing reserve military training. What a trooper.
7. Thanks Ariel for the email but I thought I’d write an opposite list to your “you know you’re living in Korea too long when”… So here’s my list:

You know you’re one of “those” foreigners in Korea when…

a. You seem to forget that you’re in someone else’s country and yet get mad when they don’t speak YOUR language.
b. You refuse to eat kimchi when you know Korea prizes it.
c. You expect Korean girls to flock to you cause you’re different even though in your own country you’re the biggest geek!
d. You think you can change the Korean way of thinking when they’ve been thinking like that for generations.
e. You make fun of Koreans for living at home till marriage (hmm... family values) and yet your family is separated and doesn’t even get along.
f. You think it’s funny when a Korean asks you if you think rice is delicious when that’s probably the extent of their English vocab and you still haven’t mastered “anyoung haseyo” (hello).
g. You make fun of grown men in Korea for holding hands and yet your own girlfriend doesn’t even want to hold yours.
h. You’re the only one complaing about a motorcyclist driving on the sidewalk while you sit in traffic in a taxi wishing he’d somehow get around this intense traffic.
i. You point out the “creative” parking techniques of Koreans and yet you have no better solution for the over-crowdedness of this country.
j. You make fun of Korean men and joke about stereotypes and yet you’re too chicken to go to a public bath house.
k. Again with the stereotypes… and yet you’re the one with the chunky, overly-hairy body (directed at the men here, or maybe not) when in fact most woman prefer a smooth body!
l. You order pizza and it comes with corn and mayonnaise as well as a side serving of pickles to put on top and you still think it’s funny after a few months when this is how their whole country eats pizza.
m. You wear a chip on your shoulder and think your Western country is better when in fact Korea is better off without people like you.
n. You make fun of Korean men for wearing pink shirts and retro bone ties and think wearing your pants near your knees and sweaters you’ll hopefully one day grow into is styling.
o. You think Korean men are gay and silly for holding hands among friends and yet in your own country they marry gay couples… what’s sillier?
p. You swear that the Korean education system only robs children of their youth and claim you’d never put your kid into it but fail to consider doing that would rob them of any kind of descent future.
q. You complain about the “interesting” things Koreans eat and yet are too shallow minded to think of the logic or reasoning behind it, or too chicken to even try.
r. You consider Koreans as being fools for being workaholics and yet fail to step back and see how us foreigners are treated like royality here and so that’s the only thing that exempts us from it. It’s the Korean way.
s. You stick to eating at Western restaurants (or starving) and stick to hanging out with only foreigners and then still complain that Korea is boring.

... that's all I got (so far)

8. Spent the evening putting the finishing touches on Ryan’s birthday gift. I plan on hiding his gift and then posting up these three mini birthday signs I made. I even made a video on my camera that will greet him in the morning with a special birthday wish from me… props to me for my creativity!
9. Looks like Ryan and I are more alike than expected… turns out we both have the habit of doing our grocery shopping at our parents’ houses! Moving overseas kind of killed that habit for me. Shopped at their place at Christmas though.
10. Spent my evening remanising about my mother after I heard that Ryan’s mother didn’t remember it was his birthday. I felt so sad for him and so I tried to keep my memories to myself so he wouldn’t feel sad. Don’t worry sweetie, I definitely remembered your birthday!

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Do I still have that birthday alien song tape my mom once bought for me?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
The strength of a nation derives from the integrity of the home.
-- Confucius

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

homegirl that list was AWESOME!!! its unfortunate that there are foreigners out there like that (and heck i'm sure that i do it every now and then too sometimes).
but that was definately a funny read!
hope you had a great time with your boy tonite!
Jenn

권투선수 에이미 [Amy] said...

It's true.... I don't like white men! After years of dating them and then moving to the flipside it's been such an eye opener. Korean men are definitely much different than Western men!!! And now considering the fact that my boyfriend is Korean, born and raised, I've experienced first hand how different the two are. So don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Have you even dated a Korean?... I mean dated, not fooled around.... had an actual relationship with them?
I know it's rough to make such a big classification and label all others as "Westerner men" but I just experienced a year... that's 365 days of life in Korea and so I do have a clue as to what I'm talking about.
And as for all my comments being directed towards men... that's not true. Some of them could be relavant to your mom for all I care. I wrote this list after reading a similar list that was negative towards Koreans. Come on people, we're a guest in their country. Is that any way to treat our hosts?
I'm sure if they came to our countries they'd think many things we do and eat are retarded and off the wall. So how come you're allowed to make fun of Korea but when I make fun of YOU it's not okay?!
You can dish it but you can't take it eh?! You babo.

Anonymous said...

Relax, teacher. I've got at least 500 more days in the land of the morning calm to my credit, so don't pull the Korea-pro card out just yet.

I am tired of being stereotyped as a white male in Korea. What you have written adds to that. Its fine you don't like Western men. I don't particularily like them either, especially in Korea, I do find most of them to be rude and prejudiced. I have also found some Koreans to be rude and prejudiced and I have found some Western women to be the same. I'm happy you've found yourself at home in this country, and I wish I could feel the same. I feel like a guest, and at times an unwelcomed one, for no apparent reason other than that I fit a stereotype. Thanks for doing your part to propagate that.

Oh, and some food for thought: How do you feel about being classified as 'Alien'? What about that everyone assumes you are American? Or Russian? The fact that we are accepted in this country for the color of our skin and the language we speak, but at the same time are rejected and subject to different standards because of it?

Double standards abound, noonah. On both sides of the issue.

Oh and, 'you babo'? I view this as an interesting debate. Don't start calling names, ghamsa hamnida ^.~

권투선수 에이미 [Amy] said...

I am relaxed Mr. Anonymous.

I know there's double standards on both sides but I was simply commenting on my own personal opinion. So why don't YOU relax!
Last time I checked you can't be wrong with personal opinion cause well, it's just that... one person's ideas. So don't flatter yourself with thinking my personal opinion is directed at you... I don't even know who you are! Maybe if you posted your name I would flatter you with some directed criticism.

And as for your food for thought... does that come with a side order of fries or kimchi? Just jokes.

I don't care if they classify me as an "alien". I don't know what kind of meaning you've attached to that word but according to the dictionary, it means "relating, belonging, or owing allegiance to another country or government". So what's wrong with that?! Their use of the word alien is correct... what, did you honestly think they were referring to creatures that probe humans and star on "X-Files"?

And you're wrong, a lot of people do NOT consider me to be American or Russian... and why's that, well, because I don't have light coloured hair and I don't fit their idea of what an American is. I've only been asked if I was American a few times. If anything, for awhile they thought I was south east Asian. Even my own boyfriend who's born and raised here thought I was south east Asian when he first saw me.

Moreover, in regards to your comment about being accepted and yet rejected because we're "aliens"... I surely have been advantaged by my status more than I have been put at a disadvantage. Think of all the social and cultural norms that it's assumed we're ignorant about or are allowed to disregard because we're not Korean.

I think Koreans have a right to show some kind of resistance to us "aliens" and so I can understand why you sometimes feel like an unwanted guest here. Consider their history though... it's been a rollercoaster love-hate relationship with other countries. Whether it's the Japanese, China, or the US... Korea has a history of struggle for independent and identity. They are trying hard to stay strong and unique but it's hard when they're dependent on other countries at the same time. It's a tug of war and you're just feeling gliches of that.

I came here knowing that there'd be some resistance on the behalf of many Koreans because I am from a western country. Yes, I've felt this on several occasions but the flipside of that that I've experienced definitely out-weights the negative.... definitely!!!

I must say, after all has been said and done, I do like a good argument and so regardless of what you think, I do respect what you've written so far... because, after all, it's ONLY personal opinion.

Anonymous said...

Man untwist your tight-whities and get with the program. I'm not no hater but I can't stand people who have more crap coming out their mouth than their asses.
So wipe your mouth and admit defeat. I'm in Amy's corner on this one! Us chics kick ass in our own country and apparently we can do it in this country too!

Anonymous said...

...and then we have the girl next door. Thanks for your input. Really.

Amy teacher,

I do feel that somewhere, deep down, we do agree on issues regarding being a forienger in Korea. My overall point however, remains, that 'white guy' prejudice exists. Just as I have a problem with the villification of Canadian teachers in the Korean press (I am Canadian (no corporate pun intended)) I have a problem with being lumped into an - admittedly large population - of foreigners, both male and female, who have no clue of where they are at. I do realize that this is your personal opinion, as this is mine, and I respect that, but all too often it seems like "a few bad apples spoil the bunch." I am Canadian, yet not a pervert, working illegally nor possessing a fake degree. I am a white male, yet consider myself to be culturally sensitive (to a point, I have my faults and my breaking points) and fully aware of where I am. You are right, that there are some forigners who deserve a swift kick in the ass out of here, but honestly...like you've never caught two pink-shirt-clad korean men rubbing thighs over soju and had a chuckle.

I do have my issues with Koreans. Xenophobia, anyone? Come teach me English....get out of my country, white devil. Please. I do understand the 'tug of war' that I am a part of, but coming from a country that was founded by and depends on the acceptance of immigrants and foriegners, I have trouble swallowing being branded as an 'alien'...no X-Files shit, just a classic case of us and them.

Don't get me wrong, the vast majority of Koreans I know are warm, kind and genuine people, but I have still felt a hostility from Koreans that I don't think acceptable of a 'host country'. You hear 'migook shippal' a few times and you begin to take notice.

In closing, this is only a blog I stumbled upon...its not like you're writing thousands who are influenced by you, so I'm not so bent out of shape, but in your great benevolance perhaps you should find time to pity the poor fools to whom your list applies, instead of cursing their existance. Maybe all they need is a nice cup of tea and a warm hug....kkkkk.

권투선수 에이미 [Amy] said...

Hey Mr.Anonymous,

I haven't heard from you for a few days and am wondering if you finally agree with me or what?
Pick another topic... I'm up for a good healthy debate!