As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Tuesday, March 21

1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO KOREA’S GREATEST MAN… RYAN!
2. Yes Ryan, in a matter of a couple of days I did in fact inhale the whole pack of M&Ms!
3. Oh the horror… I’m down to my last bottle of pure Canadian maple syrup! How devastating!
4. Easy there Tiger…. Tony (little Mr. I love Ms.B) literally tried to kiss me at school. He leaned into me when I was standing beside him and thankfully I’ve got reflexes like a cat and so he ended up kissing the backside of my hand as I blocked the kiss. I was so shocked and he was so embarrassed so I didn’t tell my co-teacher. I’m hoping he was just joking.
5. Laughed just as hard today as I did yesterday as the school did their stretching time to that loud military music and yelling. Instead of participating, I slipped out of the teachers’ room to check out all the classes and sure enough, they were all stretching. It was the funniest thing I’ve seen in awhile!
6. Today at school all the staff and students wrote new school term resolutions. My VP wrote that he wanted to say a new English phrase everyday to me. So cute. Today’s phrase was “How do you like your coffee?” I couldn’t help but giggle as I could totally relate with him and his inability to understand the answer. I remember when I first learned “how much is this?”. I knew the question but couldn’t count to understand the answer… mind you, I still struggle with counting. Ha, ha, ha.
7. Looks like I’ve got an avid reader… Mr. Anonymous. Thanks for the input and comment you posted. If you ever eventually tell me your name maybe I’d actually write you some directed personal opinions… oh wait, I just did.
8. Finally came to a decision as to who’s going to be in my ePALS club at Eumbong Middle School. This is going to be the start of something great, I can feel it!!!
9. Showered the Birthday Man with lots of much deserved birthday love…. dinner at TGIF, special handmade birthday gift, gold earrings (no.. he only wears one), ice cream cake and even a birthday video taping I made. Thank goodness his birthday only comes once a year cause that was a lot of work!

10.Today’s lesson 101 on Korean culture was a shocker… apparently it’s socially accepted and practiced for grandmothers and mothers to touch their grandson/son’s private part up until they’re in their late teens. And no, it’s not fondling and it doesn’t necessarily mean bare skin (especially when it’s a teen boy). In my country we’d think this is definitely disturbing but I can understand a bit as to why they do this. I think it all relates back to how valued boys are in Korea and the significant symbolism behind “it”. “It” afterall is what continues the family lineage and so symbolically speaking it gives life (baby) and sustains it too (continuation of the family name).

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What is something that would shock Koreans?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Love is ice cream.
-- new advertising slogan for Baskin Robins (couldn't agree with them more too!)

No comments: