As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Wednesday, March 15

1. Hadn't even got to class yet when some student at Eumbong Elementary School approached me and forwarned me that he heard I pick-up and throw out "bad boys" from my class. Had no idea who this kid was.
2. Five minutes till class and we experience a techno melt-down. Thankfully one of the two teachers who does know a bit of English is also a computer genious! Saved by the bell!
3. Two new students in my grade 6 class, Vivian and Christina. Their English rocks and Christina looks like a Korean version of Lisa Loeb (singer from back in the day).
4. Horror on the home front with my grade 5 class. Turns out that "bad boy" from earlier today is a new student in my class and he's almost my size. I ended up kicking one boy out and literally kicking that bad boy.... not hard, don't worry.
5. Rule #3 in my class: Treat others the way you would like to be treated. Turns out that "bad boy" can't understand that and so I gave him a brutal example...
"Do you like kicking?" I asked, "No" he said.... so I kicked him.
"Do you like hitting?" I asked, "No" he said.... so I hit him.
"Do you like punching?" I asked, "YES" he said... so I slapped him.
My point here of course wasn't physical abuse but instead, if you don't like it then don't do it.
6. Turns out he didn't take my point seriously and so when he hit a girl in class I allowed her to hit him back.
7. Realized just how flipped this flipside living is.... said "shut-up" in class and everyone freaked but when the homeroom teacher came in and gave a public beating to the bad boy and hit him with a stick on the neck, no one flinched!
8. Tea time!!! I love it... after lunch at my elementary school all us teachers join for tea!
9. Returned to Eumbong Middle School and the big topic in the teachers' room was Korea kicking the American's butt in baseball last night. Where's Louis when I need him eh?... just jokes.
10. Scored another day off work, Friday. Now that I have my work visa I now have to register my status. Sweet!

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What the heck am I suppose to do with "bad boy"?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Just hit him.
-- fellow teacher

No comments: