As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Wednesday, March 22

1. Thought I’d experience horror again with my Wollang Elementary grade 5 class (I only teach them once a week) but today was different! I stood there all nervous that they’d test my “I’m going to hit you” comment I made last week but it turns out their homeroom teacher did that so today they were angels… seriously! Word has it half of them got a beating from him.
2. Despite our jokes about the “bad fat kid”, I didn’t give him the English name Cartman like Tasha had joked about. Instead he’s now Mike and his little side-kick is Jackson. Turns out Jackson has rebelled against Mike and is now my side-kick in class. This little guy was an angel in diquise!
3. Found out that Lyndia, my pride and joy at Eumbong Middle School, has a brother in my class at Wollang Elementary School…. Brent. Turns out I’m apparently a favorite of Lyndia too cause he told me all about how she goes on and on about me at home. Good stuff!
4. After a couple of weeks making my face known at Wollang Elementary School, I still remain the freakshow in the cafeteria at lunchtime as pointing girls and boys push their way to catch a glimpse at me or, better yet, to point at me.
5. Tea time at Wollang started off on a very akward note as I went to the tea room with one of the teachers. She didn’t speak a word of English (mind you most of them there don’t) and we were the only one’s there for about 15 minutes. I struggled a bit but I used as much Korean as I had collected in a year and left her laughing. Not too sure if she was laughing at my story or me, regardless, she was smiling.
6. I only teach in the morning and for the rest of the day I simply kicked up my heels, turned on some music and took it easy back at Eumbong Middle School. I love this job!
7. Everyday my VP at Eumbong MS tries his English on me. Today’s English question of the day was, “What kind of men do you like?” I responded by saying “funny men”. Then he asked me “What kind of WOMEN do you like?” and I was totally thrown off guard. How do I answer that? I’m not into women but maybe he meant female friends. My response “breathing”, I don’t think he got my joke so I changed my answer to “sweet”.
8. I don’t think I’ll ever get sick of all the screaming girls who flock my classroom to chat about silly things or the numerous boys who tell me everyday I’m pretty. The world needs more Eumbong students!!!
9. Oh my gosh… I’ve got a post-teenage pimple on my chin! Don’t look at me!
10. It’s official… Ryan’s lost his cell phone but it’s cute how he still checks in with me to tell me he’s on his way… hint, hint you’ve got 10 minutes to finish making my supper. Just joking, I like it. It reminds me of my father calling my mother from work.


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
How do you turn off this GREAT scroll pad on my mouse pad?!

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
The more you learn, the more you learn how little you know.
-- Anonymous

No comments: