As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Wednesday, March 29

1. Techno melt-down AGAIN at Wollang Elementary School with the computer cd drive. EVERY week I teach there the cd drive chews up my cd (school textbook cd) and so the school has to give me a new one. I’m up to three chewed up cds… you think they’d figure some kind of solution out.
2. Tried my hardest to not show that I really wasn’t impressed when a “certain someone” (hint, hint… teacher) insisted on “correcting” my CORRECT English. I was especially thrilled when she erased the word “corner” on the street and rewrote it as “corrner” I guess becoming a teacher was the only way they could get her to stay in school.
3. During tea time at Wollang, I got invited to play volleyball with the teachers after class next week. Turns out they do an activity together after school every Wednesday but my co-teacher Mrs. Chung had already told them I can’t. She says I have to return to Eumbong M.S. to work… work on what? I teach 20 classes a week and that means on Wednesdays I’ve got 4 hours to kill! I’ve got to see if I can change this!
4. Must admit I gave a terrible lesson for my grade 6 students… was more focused on what the heck the teacher was doing. She was like 6 students combined. Long story.
5. Walked into Eumbong and instantly knew something was up. Turns out most of the male teachers were sporting hangovers from yesterdays social event we had. I found it particularly interesting that even the VP was hung-over and the principle thought the whole thing was funny!
6. Because of the other day’s parent-teacher interviews, it seems like my new ePALS is of top priority among many. Now even the parents of my students want me to teach them English. Of course, Supervisor Lee is partly to blame for this added work this now causes me. Supervisor Lee, former Director Lee…. both LEEs, coincidence with character?!
7. Definitely the highlight of my day was when I told Jack I’ll let him in my ePALS club if he says please. A simple “please” would have done me good but he got down on his knees, pounded on my desk and begged! Wow!
8. Joked around with Ryan about the fact that we’re almost the same size and so he reassured me he’s “the man” by throwing me over his shoulders and carrying me around the house. Ohhhh…. what a strong man! Can I touch your muscles?!
9. Still get butterflies when Ryan kisses me!
10. Because Ryan has lost his cell phone, my planned dinner out at TGIF for “Rainbow night” was a bust… they give you 40% off to certain cellphone users.


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Can you give me a question of the day?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
-- Anonymous

No comments: