As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Friday, May 12

1. Jeffery in my grade 6 elementary class thought it funny to do everything possible to get my attention, including writing his answers with his bleeding finger. For some strange reason I like this kid but he’s the worse kid in my class in terms of behavior. Kicked him out for the rest of the class.
2. Experienced first hand how cruel kids can be. Today in my grade 5 elementary class the class loner, Kyle, was totally picked-on by the whole class. I told him to sit down and ALL of his classmates refused to let him sit with them. One kid even went so far as to spit on an empty seat.
3. I was totally lost for words and didn’t know what to do but comfort Kyle as he stood there crying. I yelled at all the students (in Korean) and then at free time I made them all sit there instead of playing.
4. Classes today totally sucked and so I was really looking forward to my parents’ English class. At 3:30pm I ran up to the classroom and no one was there. All my students were in the cooking room making a meal for the teachers for a mini Teacher’s Day celebration.
5. Am convinced the mothers in my parents’ English class are the sweetest women in Korea! They prepared this big feast for all us teachers and then sang a song dedicated to teachers.
6. Mr. Science guy bailed on driving me home (no comment here!) and so one of the other Korean teachers drove me home. I humored her with my Korean and she humored me with her body language. She speaks probably five English words!
7. After the rough day of teaching today I really needed to relax and have a drama-free night. Ryan went to a birthday party who’s expected guest list would have caused me nothing BUT drama.
8. Hooked up with my homegirl Jenn and hit the movies. We won’t mention how I kind of embarrassed myself in front of that guy but we had a good time.
9. Jenn… I’m so glad you were tired and decided to go home. Had we had gone to where I had mentioned, we would have ran into Dumb and Dumber!!!
10. I admit it, I’m not ashamed… there are a couple of people here that I just don’t care to talk to. If we were in my home country we wouldn’t be friends and so why do I have to be friends with them here?! I’m not hard up for companionship and I’m not interested in your pathetic and immature conversations. I’ve taught kindergarten kids who have proven to be more interesting and mature than you!


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Is this as grown up as you're going to be or is there still hope?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
-- Dave Barry

No comments: