As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Thursday, May 4

1. Day off! Stood in the window watching the rest of Korea go to work as I started my mini holiday.
2. While others debated what needed to be done at work, I debated emailing, sleeping some more, or going for a jog.
3. Homegirl met up with me downtown and we went in search of food. She was craving sandwiches and I wanted anything but fish.
4. Headed out to Songtan to see D-Boy and did the mistake of getting on an express subway train. Buddy-boy on the train who said he’d help me, feel asleep and so I had to back-track in a cab. Then, after having to pay that cab I then missed the last train at the end of the night and so I had to cab the whole route back… ya, like that cost me an arm and a leg!
5. Finally met up with D-Boy and while we were chilling at some patio some Korean dude came along and made himself comfortable at our table. I, thinking that this was my chance to practice my Korean, spoke Korean only to then have him yell at me, “what, you no English?”. Thanks buddy.
6. Must admit I got a good laugh out of hearing the Korean men yell out, “Yo dude, what’s up?” I know I looked like a freak at the street side uncontrollably giggling but it was just too funny.
7. Hanging out in Songtan was fun but it was way too American for me. American soldiers flooded the streets and so did the “juicy girls” (i.e. working girls… in this case most of them were Philippine). I’d have to say that it was “interesting” and “educational”… but not a place I’d ever wonder to on my own.
8. Chatted up a storm with D-Boy on basically everything from ex’s to Thailand and in-between! Between the two of us, we’re so incredibly contagious… laughing that is.
9. Am convinced D-Boy and I took that cheap underground club by storm with our cool dance moves and the fact that we knew every word to every song. The waitresses kept on clapping for us and even the “juicy girls” stopped to watch us bust a move. I don’t think they liked my sarcastic impersonation of them or my cheesy attempt to break dance.

10. Felt so rebellious keeping D-Boy out past his military curfew. I had convinced the staff there that he was an international basketball player but once we left, I didn’t know how to hide him anymore. Checked him into a hotel and then I left to go home for Cheonan.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Do girls really wake-up one day and think "ah, I want to be a juicy girl"?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
There's nothing juicy about that girl unless you consider that big bubble she claims is her head.
-- random American soldier

No comments: