As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Friday, June 23

1. Drama AGAIN with my Eumbong Elementary grade 5 students and it all stems from the bad attitude some of these mini mites are sporting. Put the kids into table teams and well, Kyle had a bit problem with it.
2. Brittney tried to quiet Kyle for me but it didn’t help. He doesn’t understand a word of English and I was out of patience so I yelled at him in Korean. The whole class froze except him.
3. My co-teacher heard me yelling and she came rushing into the room and grabbed both Brittney and Kyle. I tried to make her understand that Brittney wasn’t doing anything wrong but she was furious. I think she takes it personally when something is wrong cause they’re her homeroom class.
4. Topic at the lunch staff table was how my coworkers were all impressed with my Korean. Thanks but no thanks. I snuck away from the table to search out Brittney. She was still crying for the beatings when I found her.
5. Returned to Eumbong Middle School exhausted and with 3 ½ hours to waste till hometime.
6. Inquired about what to do next time attitude takes over my class…. their answer… beat them. Seems like that’s the common idea here. If students act out then beat them…. my question is, what does this solve? I rather they listen to me out of respect then out of fear.
7. Entertained myself with going on a mountain venture and sitting outside studying my Korean.
8. Had the best feeling today when I got a surprised visit from my Wollang Elementary student Christina. Her brother (he’s Jess in my 2-2 class) had told her I was sad the other day and so she walked 20 minutes just to say hi and to give me a flower.
9. I of course was so flattered by Christina’s visit. I walked around the school with her hand-in-hand showing her off and introducing her to everyone. We ran into Jess (brother) who was so shocked she was there…. so funny.
10. STOP THE PRESSES…. Looks like Korean has realized the real women do wear bras bigger than an A or B. Discover a D in LotteMart!!! You can understand my shock and surprise. I bought one but when I tried it on later at home I was really disappointed at it’s freakish shape. Maybe the manufacturer didn’t think anyone would actually buy it!


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
And what shape would this be?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
There are so many things that we wish we had done yesterday, so few that we feel like doing today.
-- Mignon McLaughlin

No comments: