As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Friday, June 9

1. Took the afternoon off to attend a TESOL seminar at a local Cheonan middle school. Arrived at the school and really would have appreciated an heads up on the fact that it’s a boys only school…. 400 boys!
2. Thankfully I opted out on wearing a skirt today cause it was bad enough being the youngest teacher there.
3. Meet this really cool older dude who’s originally from Toronto, Canada. We remanised about Toronto and so that was nice. Apparently he’s made a living out of traveling and teaching… and somehow has found a wife to go along with the ride. Sweet.
4. You know you’ve been in Korea too long when a co-worker tells you she touches her sons’ “red pepper” (..as they refer to it in Korea) and it doesn’t phase you!!! Still confused as to whether this is a good luck thing for the family tree or just some unexplainable cultural custom.
5. Finally had it… while trying on a dress in the change room in Yawoori, I overhead the two sales ladies talking. I knew it was me they were referring to when they said Russian and so I was ticked. I literally tossed the dress off me and walked out not fully dressed (pants and jacket undone).
6. Marched over to the local beauty shop and bought hair dye only to come home and discover the brown dye caused my hair to turn BLUE! My intentions were to not look like a Russian but not to look like a smurf either!
7. Ryan surprised me by ordering food and having it sent to my house. I opened the door looking like my head had just been revenged upon by a gang of smurfs. My hair was all messy, not too mention BLUE, and so the delivery boy was definitely surprised to see me.
8. Hero of the day was Ryan, who, despite his eagerness to watch the opening ceremony of the soccer game, agreed to drive over to LotteMart to see if my new contacts were in and to buy me more hair dye.
9. Eventually got my hair back to a normal color. It’s now dark brown and I could cared less what color it come out as given that it didn’t remain blue and that I didn’t go bald!
10. Stayed home and watched the Germans kick Costa Rica’s butt in the first game of the 2006 World Cup.


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Who's going to win the World Cup?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Nothing is more certain than the defeat of a man who gives up.
-- George Sheehan

No comments: