As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Monday, June 19

1. Woke up at 4am to cheer on the Korean soccer team as they played the French. Cheonan ended up closing off the downtown area again as hardcore fans came out to watch the game on the massive TV outside of Yawoori.
2. Called up my family at half time and it was pretty cool that we were on opposite sides of this massive globe both but doing the same thing… watching Korea tie with the French.
3. Walked out on my morning extra help class for the level 2 students after I came to the conclusion that I’m just wasting my time. Now I know why these students struggle with their English. I’m done trying to think up creative ways to get to these totally unmotivated kids.
4. Lectured that same class on how I left everything… my country, home, family, friends and job to come teach in Korea and that didn’t mean teaching rude children. They got my message but took it the wrong way and now I’m sure half of them think I live a sad lonely life… I don’t but I just wanted them to smarten up.
5. Turns out almost half of my middle school students watched the Korean soccer team play and so my English class quickly turned into nap time for many.
6. Entertained my 1-1 class with my stupid rendition of some random Kung Fu fighter with the silly class “beat stick” and ended up killing a bumble bee in the act. It was so funny but splat went the bumble bee all over my white board!
7. Discovered “milk bread” from Paris Baguette…. ah, it’s awesome! Now I can drink my milk and eat it too! Now if only they made banana milk bread…. oh ya baby. I’d be all over that like a cheap shirt!
8. Oh the horror…. I’m running out of Skippy peanut butter!
9. I can’t wait till all this soccer is over so that I can have my boyfriend back! It’s been like a cheesy rendition of “The Invasion of the Body Snatchers”, with the TV doing the snatching. I’m convinced that when his eyes catch glimpse of soccer on TV he’s like a deer caught in the headlights! Don’t look into the light Ryan! Ha, ha, ha.
10. Did some hardcore Korean studying and fell asleep with my nose literally in the books.


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What have you done to my boyfriend?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads.
-- from the movie "Back to the Future"

No comments: