As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Thursday, June 15

1. Another staff member at my school had their birthday and well, my school jumps at any opportunity to celebrate. Today’s birthday celebration was especially funny when they pulled out campaign after first period and drank up.
2. Once again I find myself being misinformed about the class schedule changes. This time it made me 15 minutes late for a 45 minute class. The mentioned it in today’s morning staff meeting but of course, they mentioned it in Korean and no one clued in to the fact that I don’t know Korean that well.
3. Turns out there’s huge school wide contest in Asan and my principle nominated me to be entered into it. It meant that one of the teachers had to sit in on my lesson and video tape the whole thing. I had to laugh when they chose my class 2-2 to sit in on…. this class is my favorite and we’ve got this awesome energy in class.
4. Of course Chloe and Ryan were right in there, answering all the questions so that I’d look extra good on video. Ryan even went so far as to yell out “Ms. B, I love your English class!” right when the class (and filming) was about to finish I thought it was a little too much but we all laughed uncontrollably over it.
5. Turns out my new system of table teams is working like a charm in ALL my classes. Not only are kids taking a more active role in class but the level of competition is really bring out a lot of participation in students who use to be mute in my class!
6. Ryan from class 2-2 amused me when he handed in his epal autobiography homework. His lists of hobbies and interests included “Ms. B, Ms. B, Ms. B… and more Ms. B”.
7. Met up with my little sister Sue tonight and she entertained me with her freakish ability to do the wave with her tongue…. not something she should be bragging about either. I love this mini Korean!

8. Only in Korea with a department store proudly take up 1/3 of the store displaying pickled cabbage... kimchi!!! Oh the smell!
9. Turns out Emart decided to rearrange EVERYTHING and so I totally had a hard time hunting down what I wanted which ended in me buying more than I originally came for. Score on the English-Korean dictionary with the pictures and sentence examples.
10. Wasn’t too impressed when I waited and waited at Emart for Ryan to respond to my text messages and pick me up. Turns out his phone is for the birds and he didn’t get any of my messages.


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Kimchi anyone?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Ungrateful little yuppie larva.
-- Ghostbusters II

No comments: