As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Friday, July 14

1. Found out why Albert in one of my elementary classes has turned into this bad-boy wannabe. Turns out last Thursday his father left him and so now he has no parents. I don’t understand. How can you just leave your child… your own flesh and blood!
2. What was intended as a small snack party with my grade 6 elementary class turned into this massive junk food feast. Had a good laugh at lunchtime when they all lined up for food. I knew there was no way half of them could stomach any more food but it was funny watching. I’m sure their homeroom teacher wasn’t impressed.
3. The results came in for yesterday’s big English contest ….. we scored TWO FIRST PLACES!!! My student Robert (he did the vocab part of the contest) didn’t do well at all but props to him for his effort though. I can’t believe we scored to first place positions…. awesome! All that hard work has definitely paid off!!!
4. After I got the phone call and ran around trying to find Vanessa and Rachael, my two winners! I freaked Rachael out when I found her in the girl’s bathroom and started singing “Congratulations” We cheered; we jumped; we gave high fives; we even gave each other hugs! When I found Vanessa in the lunchroom I made everyone sing “Congratulations” to her. Everyone was so excited and I was so incredibly proud!
5. Today was my last day of teaching before my summer holidays… well, before English camp, and so it was kind of a sad day. I am going to miss my students and it was so cute today how my elementary kids all wanted my email address. I ended up giving out my cell number too and I don’t think I should have done that cause I spent a good part of my afternoon answering random text messages… oops! Ha, ha, ha.
6. English camp starts next Tuesday and I’m still clueless as to what I’ll be teaching.
7. Found out I’ll be teaching with Andrew and Ariel at the second English camp I’ll be attending. Me and these two funny boys.... oh, that definitely smells like trouble!!!!
8. After much practice, I walked up to my principle’s office and recited the few Korean sentences I’ve been working on. He was really impressed and so he clapped. He doesn’t speak a word of English but he told my co-teacher that he’s very proud of me. He thanked me for my dedication to the students, and commented that he’ll miss seeing me but looks forward to the end of summer break when we all will be back together again. What a sweet guy eh!
9. Well tonight’s celebration party was DEFINITELY the world’s biggest flop! Darnell and his boys left me out of the loop with what’s going down with Seoul. Ryan forgot what today was and I canceled my own celebration party cause I knew Ryan wouldn’t come anyways.
10. I was so incredibly disappointed and so I decided that I wanted nothing more to do than fall asleep and forget about tonight.


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Do you smell what I smell?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.
-- Colin Powell

No comments: