As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Friday, July 21

1. Big news story for today, besides everyone freaking out about tonight’s performance, was the sneaking around that happened in the dorms last night. Apparently some of the boys snuck into the girl’s dorm and well, obviously got caught. Their punishment included sitting in a room for an hour with their arms up while listening to a scolding lecture. Come on.. they’re kids. What’s the worst they can do, honestly!
2. Image, image, image… that’s what it comes down to. Last night’s freak out on the kids was done to uphold the camp’s image and we’ve been practicing all week for this silly presentation when, in reality, almost 80% of our crowd (parents and education board members) don’t even understand English!
3. Well they did it and I’m not too sure how they did it. With the great lack of communication and organization that this camp appears to be based on, I honestly didn’t think they’d be able to come up with some kind of plan for tonight’s presentation, but they did. Have to admit, I’m pretty impressed with how they finally all got together for it!
4. Tonight was the night of the big final presentation and Jeremy and I got stuck being the MCs. Considering more than half of our audience doesn’t know any English, we had a hard time trying to think up of any jokes. As a last resort we planned for Nerio to call my cell. We said that if we were dying up there, I’d scratch my nose and he’d call me. I’d yell something funny on the phone in Korean and they’d laugh… or so was the plan.
5. Jeremy and I opened the ceremony with me hiding and then a quick game of “rock-scissors-paper” to start it all. They loved it! Turns out our cell phone joke wasn’t so funny to them and with that, we were desperately trying to not sink any further. Ceremony lasted three LONG hours.

6. The kids were all awesome but I was really disappointed with all the loud talking from the parents that went on while the students preformed. Big props to all the students. I was really entertained and amazed at how funny many were. Not too sure what was up with the boys who wore make-up in their presentation though!!!
7. Really wasn’t impressed when half way through the concert I spotted my camera on some random chair. I had asked a fellow teacher to take pictures for me but apparently he didn’t. Tried really hard to shake it off but it really ticked me off the more I thought about it.
8. Had the pleasure of meeting my student Ester’s parents. Her father is a missionary and all family members speak English, Korean and Chinese. Had to laugh when they said they loved my accent… what accent?!
9. Ryan came and picked me up and so the sight of him was a huge sigh of relief. Get me out of here! I was so exhausted and so I had to fight the urge to close my eyes while on the back of the scooter.
10. Finally got home at 12:35am!


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Are they even listening?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Ugly should hurt.
-- Author Unknown

No comments: