As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Saturday, July 22

1. Hurray for my last early, early morning! This is killing me!
2. Impressed all the boys with my baseball skills (i.e. throwing/catching). Mind ya, I think I took out a few students as I fought to catch the ball… ha, ha, ha. Thanks to my dad and two brothers for those skills!
3. Today was the last day of English camp and so we finally ventured out of the classroom. The camp took them to a traditional folk village where we walked around for an hour in the blazing heat.
4. Folk village wasn’t bad actually. In addition to getting to beat the heck out of rice with large wooden mallets (rice cake making), we got to chitchat with the students as we leisurely walked around.
5. As the kids piled on the buses to go home, we all were sad to see them leave but relieved that it was over. Somehow Jae Ho got a hold of my cell number and so no sooner had his bus left then he was already sending me “I miss you” text messages. So cute.
6. After leaving the camp, I rushed over to Songtan to talk to the travel agent but I arrived just as she was literally locking the door. “Hmmm… come back on Monday” was the only form of sympathy she could give me.
7. Just when I thought the day was getting bad, it got worse. Had to sit through about 30mins of some creep eyeing me up and down. When the train finally approached my stop, he approached me and did a full-fledge, one-handed, wrap-around and squeezed a “particular part” of my body and ran away.
8. Reached the peek of my frustration with this whole pervert situation when I was then forced by some fellow subway riders to try to explain what happened to a Korean security guard. So instead I pushed them away and hid in the bathroom stall for a bit while the hype over the whole situation lowered.
9. Arrived home in a mess and called it a night… unfortunately it didn’t end there though. Had it had ended, I would had seriously called myself blessed but no, a weekend isn’t a weekend without an episode of “War of the Worlds”, starring Ryan and I. Still working out these silly clashes of culture.
10. Am a true believer in tough love. What doesn’t break you, makes you stronger.


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
How far can love go?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
He who smiles rather than rages is always the stronger.
-- Japanese proverb

No comments: