As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Thursday, July 13

1. Spent a good part of my morning sitting with my Vice Principle and eating grapes. He found great amusement with the fact that I ate the whole grape (note, Koreans don’t eat the skin of the grapes). I guess you just had to be there.
2. Had one last chance to go over today’s contest subjects with my student Vanessa before she headed off to the big Asan English contest. We sent three students and I’m banking on bringing home an award with Vanessa. I unfortunately had to stay behind and teach classes so I spent a good part of my day being filled with anxiety.
3. Today is the day of the BIG ASAN ENGLISH CONTEST. Our school sent three students (1 for the speaking component, another for the writing component, and then a third for the vocab component). I worked my butt off to prepare them but couldn't go with them cause I had classes. So, spent a good part of my day filled with total anxiety!

4. With today being the last day I’ll be teaching my middle school students before the big summer break, I thought I’d give them a head start on their break with entertaining them with an episode of “Friends”. Gave ALL my classes and break and so by the third class I had all the lines from “Friends” down pack! Ha, ha, ha.
5. Turns out I was right… she had told all 146 middle school students to email me!!! I convinced her to change her mind but now I have less than 24hours to think of what to assign for homework!
6. Spent some time with Sue. Tonight she found great amusement in teaching me how to make the perfect airplane.
7. I admit it, River has got to be one of my favorite people that I’ve ever met in Korea! Tonight he humored me by trying to show a more sensitive side of him (long story) and so he showed up with a pale pink tank top. I definitely had a good laugh as he pretended to flash his chest and I ran on the tread mill.
8. Kicked my own butt on the treadmill but had to stop cause of side cramps… that was River’s fault.
9. Well I think I’ve won…. after working up a convincing speech as to why I think he should let me drive his scooter, I gave my speech to Ryan and I think he bought it! He only said “I’ll think about it” but I think it’s a sure thing! Awesome!

10. While in LotteMart, Ryan and I ran into Mr. and Mrs. Park from my old gym! I haven’t seen them since they moved to Seoul (almost a year ago). Wow… they were really shocked to see that I was still in Korea. Last time we spoke I was engaged, planning my wedding, and dreading leaving Korea! Things have obviously dramatically changed. No wedding, no leaving Korea and now a Korean boyfriend. They were so confused! It felt so awesome to see them again. They’re back in Cheonan!!!!!!!!

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
How different are things going to be this time next year?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
I believe the future is only the past again, entered through another gate.
-- Arthur Wing Pinero

No comments: