As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Tuesday, July 18

1. English camp started today and so at 7:30am I jumped on the bus and hoped it was going in my direction. Arrived at the university an hour and a half later after having to take one city bus and a taxi.
2. Despite giving them 3 weeks notice that I'll be staying over night, they failed to arrange a room for me. So, they stuck my stuff in a tiny room packed with 4 adult women and hoped I'd accept sleeping on the floor. Considered it all day but when they informed me that I'd be showering in one massive shower room with my female students, that pretty much cleared up any pondering on my behalf... no thanks!!!
3. There I stood, talking to this Korean guy for about 10mins until either of us asked for each other's name. Turns out he's the notorious Nerio. He use to teach at my school and I knew he'd be at camp. I was rather nervous having to meet him but when I found out that this dude was Nerio, I had a huge laugh and felt quite silly for being nervous.
4. Interesting selection of foreign teachers here. Canada was well represented... there was the city girl (me), the country hick (Jeremy from Edmonton), the farm woman (Edil from London, Ontario) and then the Newfie (Brad). I'm pretty sure there was another Canada too but I don't remember who.
5. Turns out I'm not really teaching any classes as oppose to being an assistant, or in some cases, am more of a student! My Korean co-teacher is awesome and I really lucked out with him but he's quite happy with running the whole show. Mind ya, it's rather boring and so I'm desparately seeking new ways to get involved and entertain myself.
6. As luck would have it, I got the best group of kids. There is 16 of them and they're in grade 5 elementary school. None of them have English names and so I'm trying hard to memorize their names but it's really challanging!
7. Turns out I've got quite the little shadow. Her name is Soo-Jin. Soo-Jin has a little shadow too, her best friend Soo-Ri. So that means everywhere I go these two go. It's so cute but kind of weird how so she's intreged by me and watches everything I do.
8. Taught my class a traditional Korean story in the form of a play. The two boys who were the "oger" were shy and so I thought I'd help them out and be an oger too. Turns out they thought it was impressed and now I'm refered to as either Amy or "Oger"... great.
9. Had sing-song time together with all the elementary students and it was awful. Not only did they pick the worst singer to sing it but the microphone was cranked up, she song the wrong words (in addition to having them spelt wrong on the overhead projection) and she was quite proud of all of this apparently. It was a really brutel way to cap off a really super long day!!!
10. Did the long trek home and pretty much crashed. Rumor has it I may have to stay later tomorrow night.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Do you know anything about what's going on?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
This one time at bandcamp....
-- from the movie "American Pie"

1 comment:

Beloved said...

You're going to go home to Canada someday and drive everyone nuts by saying, "This one time at English camp. . .", aren't you, Amy? Or perhaps the memories will be so bad you'll repress them all!