As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Tuesday, July 25

1. Ryan was a super sweetie by waking up super early and driving me to English camp today. Pay attention guys… THIS is how you treat a woman!!! Show her that you support her and she’ll always be by your side.
2. Korean confusion 101 at the English camp. I love how there’s one simple question, numerous opposing answers and only us foreigners who actually considered gathering everyone together for a meeting to collect our thoughts. Andrew was right, don’t ask questions. That was my mistake for today, I asked a question.
3. Figure cause I’ve been working like a slave that I’ll spend the extra money and live like a Queen for a week. Looks like I’m going to the Philippines!
4. Definitely the funniest moment of the day was with my E2 Blue Sharks class. We’re studying shopping (money, stores, etc) and so I opened up a discussion with talking about what things we buy at different stores. I asked, “What do you buy at a grocery store?” and some boy yelled out “tampons”. I asked him to repeat himself and he said, “My dad buys tampons at grocery store”. Of course I couldn’t help but burst out into laughter. The students were super confused as to what a tampon was and so they started to ask me questions like if it was a fruit or vegetable. I think he meant to say his mom buys them but I don’t think he even knew what it meant. One word… HILARIOUS!!!
5. Amused all my kids with my retarded way of sitting on the corner of the desk. With what feels like half a right butt check, I had such an uncomfortable and painful day. Besides the scratches on my back, elbows, my twisted wrist and bruised legs,
6. While on the bus home the driver turned around and yelled out, “You! Shut-up!”… and of course, a comment like that only served to make us talk even more! Edil claims that Korean’s don’t know that it’s impolite but I don’t agree with that cause I’ve said “shut-up” before in class and the students react as if I’ve just killed someone! Apparently only the Koreans are allowed to talk on this bus. I was definitely tempted to get creative with my Korean language and tell him what I really thought but I stopped myself cause he’s not worth it.
7. Finally met my second little sister. Her name is Grace and she's a super tiny, super hyper mini-Korean. When I was finally able to leave her house, her little sister stood in the doorway crying, waving, and then... peeing! Yup... she stod there peeing and I tried so hard not to laugh. She's a baby though so it's natural.

8. Possible cancellation with my trip cause it seems like finding a plane ticket back from the Philippines is next to impossible! Korean Air has tickets but they’re going to cost me an arm and a leg!
9. Am convinced Jae Ho misses me more than I thought he’d even like me in the first place. He’s the little guy I met at last week’s English camp and he’s such a cool mini-Korean. Today he bombarded me with text messages on my phone… so funny.

10. After numerous attempts to sleep, I woke up and changed into shorts, only to discover yet more bruises on my body from the accident.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
How sweet are you?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Remedy it, or welcome it: a wise man's only two choices.
-- Terri Guillemets

No comments: