As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Wednesday, July 19

1. Day two of getting up super early only to rush to the bus and then have an hour and a half journey to school. The bus ride really kills me. Sitting for so long makes me tired but I’m nervous about missing my spot and so my head is bobbing the whole ride!
2. Turns out we teach the same classes (material) to all three elementary classes and so today was a total repeat of yesterday’s lesson. Oh gosh, this is going to get real boring for me on the third round.
3. Day two of teaching the “How much is it? – Shopping” lesson and I’m already feeling the boredom setting in. Decided to get more creative with it and so as a part of their shopping vocabulary, I taught them the terms “shoplifter”, “shoplifting”, “bargain shopping”, and “over-pricing”. They’re only grade 5/6 kids but they sure had a lot of fun putting into practice those new terms when it came to playing our shopping game. I think we had more shoplifters than legate customers!
4. Today the middle school classes hosted a massive market day to show off their shopping lesson. They thought they were know-it-alls until some of my students exercised their new shopping vocabulary…. oops!!! Thankfully the shoplifting stopped after one teacher freaked on one of them. That was a harsh lesson!
5. Not too sure what the heck they’re thinking but in a matter of 3 hours we had fed the kids FOUR TIMES!!! Lunch, market day snacks, snack time, and then supper! Not only did they get in trouble for not finishing their supper (teacher lectured them… it was embarrassing) but they’re also going to go to sleep tonight with stomachaches from all that food and candy!
6. Got asked about what impression I had about the English camp so far. So, I told her that I found it ironic that the students are more aware of what’s going on than the teachers. We’ve been totally left out of the loop since day one when we first got asked to come. Turns out she was the head organizer for the camp. I guess I really put my foot in my mouth this time!
7. Looks like I got a little paparazzi! His name is Jae Ho and he’s always taking pictures of me on his cell phone. He’ll be in my class tomorrow so that should be interesting.
8. Just as we were leaving, us teachers got told we have to stay longer. It’s been a super long day!
9. Ryan’s been definitely trying hard to discourage me from driving his Veno scooter but tonight I did it… FINALLY! He’s latest excuse as to why it wouldn’t work was cause Veno is a girl. Get with the times sweetie… girls like girls too! So, after numerous frustrating attempts, I gave it lots of gas and it started!!! Showtime baby!
10. Seeing the look on Ryan’s face as he drove down the parking garage ramp and saw me on his Veno was totally priceless!


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Is this a trick question?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Simply the thing I am Shall make me live.
-- Auther Unknown

No comments: