As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Wednesday, July 26

1. Must admit that my middle school class M2 at this English camp is the most boring class I’ve ever taught. The theme for this week was accidents. I thought it’d be a lot of fun and so I started to share some of my more interesting accidents I’ve got into, like my recent scooter accident and the time when I fought a black-belt bouncer at the club I use to work at (broke my hand as a result). NO REACTION! Even after I totally acted it out, they sat there and starred at me as if I had just told them how slow paint dries on the wall!
2. Was quite relieved when I taught the other middle school class, M1. They’re doing the same theme but they totally loved my lesson! I couldn’t even get through half of the lesson cause they were laughing so much and so eager to share their stories.
3. Called a meeting at lunch for all the Korean and foreign teachers because no one really is informed on what’s going on. Had a good laugh though when I heard that the Korean teachers taught I called the meeting cause I was upset. I wasn’t upset, just curious how us foreign teachers are the only ones who notice the total lack of communication!
4. Meeting was pointless and if anything, it just caused more confusion.
5. Much thanks to Ariel for giving me that wicked hook-up with finding a plane ticket. Emailed his buddy at 2pm and by 3pm the guy had booked and confirmed a flight for me to the Philippines for August 7th! Awesome! Beautiful beaches here I come!
6. In a country infested with cell phone users, apparently Ryan’s is the only one that doesn’t work! I was at the hair dressers when this all went down. The lady had already started on my hair but she didn’t understand what I wanted done. So she stopped to deal with another customer after she had already started to dye my hair. I quickly called Ryan. He said he’d talk to the lady but when she returned I tried and tried to Ryan’s number and had no luck.
7. After numerous calls and text messages I gave up. No word from Ryan and so by then I was already embarrassed and frustrated. I convinced her to wash it out and let me go home. I had gone there for a hair cut, dye and highlights and returned home with only highlights. I wasn’t impressed.
8. Well it seems like Ryan and his boss (a.k.a. The Slave Driver) have come to a mutual understanding and so today Ryan walked out of work a free man… no longer a victim to slavery! Congratulations to you and your new found freedom!
9. Celebrated Ryan’s victory by dishing out the cash and buying the huge mother of all cheesecakes!
10. Oh no! With Ryan now having lots of extra time to spend with me, how can I go to the Philippines?! I thought about bringing him but the guy doesn’t have a passport. He’s going to be bored out of his skull for one week alone.


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Do you even hear yourself?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
If you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it.
-- Author Unknown

No comments: