As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, November 19, 2010

My Church Kiddies Get the Last Laugh... Friday, November 19

On Monday I told my Church Kiddies the story “Attack of the Korean Ajjumas” – a story summing up how Korean ajjumas and how their wondering pudgy hands seem to be drawn to my hair – and today they came to class aiming to play up that story. They had made a pack today to touch my hair at any and every given chance possible. They had discussed it amongst themselves prior to class and had agreed to keep it as subtle as possible… this, of course, I didn’t find out till I confronted them about it at the end of class.

It all started when I did a homework check. Students usually slide their notebooks along the desk and up to the front but today they individually brought their notebooks up to where I was sitting. I disregarded what I thought was someone accidentally brushing against my head but commented when another student stopped me in mid sentence to tuck my hair behind my ear. “New earrings?” that student commented and with that I thought nothing more of it. Other attempts at touching my hair without me knowing were made when I made my rounds around the table, checking to see if they understood the activity. Our five minute break time was filled with range and strange excuses they dug up to touch my hair. While some excuses were believable, like “you have something in your hair” and “what new colour is your hair?”, others were just flat out silly and ridiculous. “Your head is the size of my hand, see” and “I think your head is cold”… hahaha!!!

Finally I stood up and asked them why they were being so strange.

They all broke out into quite a large laugh… hahaha… and that’s when one student told me they were just teasing me about the whole ajjuma story. It was then that another student passed me a piece of paper and on that piece of paper was a picture she drew of me… hahaha.

Saying goodbye to them after class was accompanied with ALL them running up to me and touching my hair. Some thought it funny to pet my hair while others flat out grabbed a chunk of my locks. We stood there laughing and even after I drove away on my scooter, I thought about the whole situation and continued to laugh.

The whole situation reminded me of when I was in elementary school. I think I was in grade seven when I met my first Asian. His name was Evan and, oddly enough, I was overly fascinated with his small eyes that I just thought were so gorgeous. However, it was his hair that I was so overly curious about and I wanted for so long to touch it hair because it seemed just so different than mine. Unlike my hair, that's very soft and has been compared to baby hair, his hair seemed to automatically stand on end and reminded me of a porcupine. Evan was my first real crush and I remember in grade eight when he took me to our grade eight graduation, I asked him if I could touch his hair... hahaha.


Evan was Chinese but I totally blame Evan for sparking my fascination with the Asian culture. Laugh, as I'm sure you will, but one of the first things I asked Snickers when we first started dating was if I could touch his hair... hahaha.

Much love shout-outs today to my Church Kiddies, to my childhood crush Evan, to my beautiful husband Snickers, and much love to all the Koreans, and all the Asians for that matter. I love your hair... hahaha!!!

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What did you laugh at today?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
The more you find out about the world, the more opportunities there are to laugh at it.
-- Bill Nye

No comments: