As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Breath of Much-Needed Life... Wednesday, December 15

At 9pm a simple knock on my door changed everything.

I was lying on the couch, prior to the knock, and trying to stir up some self-motivation so that I could head out to boxing. It had been a long day and with every little bit of weight I’ve lost I’ve been all that colder and today I was so unmotivated to go boxing. I knew I had to get to training. My mind wanted too but my body was comfy and cozy all snug as a bug in my sofa blanket, which leads us up to the knock on my door.

I called out, “Who is it?” to which I got no reply, so I asked again.

No one answered. Then they knocked again.

I opened the door and who should be standing there before my eyes but someone I’ve been waiting oh too long to see. Yes, you guessed right, it was Snickers. There before my eyes stood Snickers and though he sported the beautiful smile I remembered, he stood there in a much bigger body that I had yet to meet.

I screamed, jumped up and down, screamed some more, and then he scooped me up to swing me around. Instantly I felt as if life had been breathed back into my very bones. I was reenergized.
It felt awesome to see him again… amazing, fabulous, like the sum of all childhood Christmas dreams come true at the sight of this one single man, my husband. I still had to get going to boxing but before I left he made sure to hug me about a million and one times. I bolted off to boxing on my scooter and with tears of pure joy in my eyes.


Returning home from boxing felt so good knowing that I’d be coming back to the arms of my husband, though I must admit I felt rather nervous around him. He weighed in tonight at a whopping 81kgs, some 10kgs more than when I last saw him, so it felt like I was hugging some other man. Surprisingly enough, even though he’s so much bigger in size, his body feels so strong, nothing like what I thought an extra 10kgs would feel like. He feels like an older man now and not the young guy I use to know.

He’s supersized… supersized in size, yes, but also supersized in his place in my life and tonight as I laid down to sleep I hugged him. I hugged him so hard I'm sure I came close to popping his head off.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What is supersized in your life?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Love doesn't make the world go round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.
-- Franklin P. Jones

No comments: