As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, December 31, 2010

Let's Play Catch-Up... Friday, December 31

It hasn't been so much as a busy week as it has been distracting, well that and the fact that I've been marked somewhat of a cripple for the time being.

On Wednesday morning, after I fell back asleep after my Samsung tutoring, I woke up to the sight of Snickers wearing a home-made sleeping mask (oh my gosh) and a very sore wrist. My left wrist has been hurting for sometime but I never made note of it to my coach or to Snickers for the very fact that I was training for a fight and didn't want to take time away from training. Today I figured it was about time I had it looked at, so Snickers and I headed back over to the hospital I had stayed at when I had my scooter accident.

As it turns out, the sharp pain and clicking that I feel every time I punch the sandbag at boxing or do pad work is because the cartilage in between the bones in my wrist has been worn down so much that it's pretty much MIA. There's two main bones in my hand that are now unaligned, unprotected and are grinding up against each other... sound painful, well, I can assure you it is. The doctor's proposed solution is to stop boxing, which isn't going to happen -- he knows that and I know that -- so we compromised. He sent me home with a hand brace I am to wear 24/7 and he'll see about giving me the ok for boxing in about a month.

Snickers tried to cheer me up after the harsh medical news by taking me to go get my hair cut and dyed, but the girl coloured it too dark and she never did cut my hair... very strange. I wasn't in the mood to argue or make a big deal out of it, after all, with all my exercising and lack of socializing it's not like hair dye lasts long in my hair nor do many people even get to see my hair.

Other things that happened between Wednesday and Saturday, hmm... we finally got around to putting me on Snickers' insurance plan.

I scored a pretty sweet deal this week with the two kids that live in my apartment building. Both parents want their kids bombarded with English, so I've agreed to pick up a big chunk of private tutoring hours.

My landlord's kid has a pretty good handle on English but it's my neighbour's kid that I've taken a surprisingly high liking to. I'm not sure whether it's cause he's got a rough situation at home or what but he shows up early for tutoring and tries really hard to not only do what I tell him but repeat anything he does that makes me laugh. In the above picture, he tried to impress me by colouring his activity sheet with two hands. I laughed so hard so he continued to do so. Snickers is convinced this little Korean cutie is what he refers to as "love hungry" cause after tutoring it took me to literally pick him up to get him to leave Ggum Guum and then he returned later with a bag of oranges for me.
And then there was New Year's Eve. Snickers and I contemplating hosting a house party but ended up going out for a romantic dinner for two... well, that was the plan. We ended up checking out this stunning restaurant in Mokcheon; turns out Snickers' buddy is the manager there. His buddy was working when we arrived so we scored some majorly sweet royal treatment. A private dinning room overlooking a massive park, a couple of glasses of red wine, a five star five course meal, and a cafe latte made by the manager himself. Dinner for two turned into a two and a half hour social with his manager-friend joining our table to chat for awhile.

Dinner was then followed by us returning to Ggum Guum. With our tummies happily full of luxerious food -- which I should note here that Snickers' manager-friend insisted us leave without paying a dime -- we laid on the hot floor of Ggum Guum and debated whether or not we wanted to venture out.
Snickers had promised his friends that he'd drop by to say hi but with our dinner being longer than anticipated and the weather being too dang cold, I asked him if he'd go without me but return home for a midnight kiss.
He returned home for his midnight kiss but he never did meet up with his friends. Instead, he searched downtown for a New Year's Eve cake. Four bakeries later and he finally found a cake. I totally wasn't expecting it so it made for a very sweet, very romantic surprise.

We never did get to see the anticipated countdown though. We were kind of busy having a "couple moment" and were lip-locked... hahaha. Hey... relax, it's all good. We're in love and we're married.
So 2011 got rang in a little late here at Ggum Guum. We noticed it was 2011 at exactly 12:07am so that's when we had our offical New Year's Eve kiss. Celebrated the ringing in of the new year with my beautiful husband Snickers, my amazingly cute little boy Mi Nam, a delish cake, and boxing on TV. An added little bonus came shortly after when we noticed that the manager at the bakery had slipped in a little letter with some money in it... sweet!!!
QUESTION OF THE DAY...
How did you ring in the new year?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right.
-- Oprah Winfrey

No comments: