As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Minus Any Christmas Spirit... Saturday, December 25

Back when Snickers had his fight in the Philippines, I prayed to God to not let him get hurt, but he let Snickers get hurt anyways and that’s how his fight got stopped, because of his injury. When I had my recent fight, I once again prayed, not that I wouldn’t get hurt but that my pride wouldn’t get hurt, but he butchered my pride, kicked it to the curb and let it hang to dry for all to see. Now before you think I only ask God for favors or pray to him whenever I need him, let me clear the air and say this isn’t true. I say my morning and bedtime prayers everyday and am always sure to thank him for this and that in my life. But today Snickers and I got joking around about prayer and apparently the irony of it in my life.

“Don’t pray for that!” he told me the other day when I said I wished it to snow on Christmas. I didn’t pray for snow, I had but merely commented that Christmas without snow felt anything but Christmas. Low and behold, however, what should come our way today but a whole whack of snow.

“Sometimes God is such a typical man” I noted to Snickers, “he’s got selective hearing.” Snickers, however, is convinced that God is a woman, a Polish woman to be exact, “stubborn like a horse’s cousin” he said, and by “horse’s cousin” he means a donkey.

I had wished to sleep through Christmas this year but with a four-legged little buddy itching to go out and do “his duty”, it was kind of hard to write off today entirely. I had prayed for Christmas to skip Korea and Christmas did skip my house, somewhat. This year marked my first Christmas with no tree and no presents, no presents on my behalf that is. My parents sent us a couple of gifts in the mail but both Snickers and I didn’t buy anyone presents let alone each other presents. Heading out to Seoul to do some Christmas shopping minus Snickers just seemed too depressing for me so I had opted out and thought I'd wait for him to return from Japan. Upon arriving back in Korea however, he's been too busy to go shopping with me so Christmas shopping got scrapped all together. It would have been a Charlie Brown Christmas hadn’t the snow showed up and I think the arrival of the snow only made me feel regret for not doing anything special for Christmas. I held a Christmas party for my Church Kiddies last night and attended their Christmas Eve show but it was the snow that made me feel bad about trying to skip out on the day.

Snickers and I ended up heading out for dinner, then we watched “Miracle on 34 Street”, which I had bought a couple of years back. I sent out a couple of Merry Christmas text messages via my phone and Facebook and that was about it in terms of holiday cheer and things-to-do. It just didn't feel like Christmas this year. It never does seem to feel like Christmas in Korea, so on that note, Snickers and I agreed that we'll be spending Christmas 2011 in Canada... where Christmas really IS Christmas... the Christmas I remember, love and crave for every single year.


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What makes Christmas really Christmas for you?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Oh, Christmas isn't just a day, it's a frame of mind... and that's what's been changing. That's why I'm glad I'm here, maybe I can do something about it.

-- quoted from the character of Kris Kringle from "Miracle on 34th Street"

No comments: