As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, December 02, 2010

Staying Mentally Powered-Up... Thursday, December 2

My TOP TEN list
Things I do to stay mentally focused and emotionally motivated…

1. Set my alarm clock five minutes earlier than when I want to wake up so that I can cuddle up to Mi Nam, lay there for an additional five minutes, and think about what I want to accomplish today. "How am I going to make myself better today than who I was yesterday?" I ask myself.

2. The first thing I do every day when I get up is press play and listen to a designated “song-of-the-day” repeatedly. Today’s song-of-the-day is “Unbreakable” by Alicia Keys.

3. I usually text message in a song request/dedication to tbs eFM radio right before I head off to tutoring.

4. Power naps!!!

5. I prize my silence, so in the morning I have “quiet time”. I turn my phone and computer off and put some earplugs into my ears. I lay on the floor eating my cut-up apple with homemade almond butter and enjoy thirty minutes of pure silence.

6. A morning “quiet time” is followed up with an afternoon quiet time – same deal but with a homemade double espresso coffee.

7. An iPod packed of bass-pumping tunes for training. At boxing I only wear one earphone so that I can still here the bell and coach yelling at me but during my runs, well, the tunes are cranked to the max.

8. I keep myself busy and load my agenda up by writing down everything and anything I need or want to do even if it’s something that doesn’t really need writing down, like hanging the laundry.

9. Being responsible for managing my friend’s homepage (female professional bodybuilder) and taking on the responsibility for personal training a couple of individuals here in Korea has really helped to keep me tweak my own fitness knowledge and stay up to date with reading fitness articles on the web. I really am trying to live by example.

I smiled when I read this quote from Mayweather. I totally think the same!

10. A LOT OF IMAGE TRAINING!!! Whether it’s imaging me already reaching my goals with training and imagining my anticipated 6-pack or leaning on my image training during training, image training is huge in my books. When doing shadow boxing and heavy bag work, I envision my opponent in front of me. She’s in the space in front of me when I shadow box and she’s the sand bag I pound away at. And when I’m doing pad work with Junior Mint, I envision my opponent standing ringside, watching me. Image training plays a role in my running, too. When I feel a side cramp coming on or want to slow down, my mind wonders off to that of my opponent and I start to ponder how her training is going. I don’t run to out-do my own pace or timing anymore, instead I run hard to out-do her training.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
How do you stay motivated?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Square your shoulders to the world, be not the kind to quit; It's not the load that weighs you down but the way you carry it.
-- Anonymous.

No comments: