As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, January 02, 2011

Curves Not Respected... Sunday, January 2

Despite the following pictures on today's posting actually being from yesterday's turn of events and considering my last night carried into the wee hours of today, I thought I'd include with today's posting.

Went to bed last night, well this morning, at 11am.

Yesterday, it being the first day of the new year, was marked with a day of pondering resolutions and a day of socializing. In the evening Snickers and I met up with about six of his friends for a nice friendly competition at the bowling alley. We split up into four teams of two, each comprising of a boyfriend and girlfriend, with the exception of our "designated gay couple" -- two single guys who had shown up solo.

The Teams:
1. Mouse Doctor and Cheeto Girl
2. 3-Pack (1-Pack and his girlfriend 2-Pack)
3. Pudge Head and Geisha Girl
4. Snickers and I
5. Hair Designer and Old Rock

Back in the day I considered myself an avid bowler because I use to go bowling all the time with my friends and my oldest brother's birthday was always marked with a family evening out to the bowling alley. Now, however, I kind of think the sport as rather geeky and boring. Koreans are all hardcore about it. Numerous bowlers showed up with their own balls, shoes, and arm braces that look rather robotic. And just when you thought bowling shoes couldn't possibly get any uglier, these pro-star hardcore bowlers showed up with their own personalized ugly bowling shoes. I'm convinced that there's some golden rule written some where that states that bowling shoes must be ugly or they'll be marked unwearable!

All of us that showed up for bowling however came empty handed and what we lacked in equipement many of us also lacked in bowling skill... hahaha.

We had agreed that the losing team among us would have to pay for the games played and for dinner. Cheeto Girl scored way too many gutter balls and though she repeatedly did so with an adorable smile and little gutter ball dance, Mouse Doctor wasn't so happy that she was killing their score. He ended up calling a time out, taking her aside and giving her a couple of bowling tips and pointers... hahaha.

Still not too sure on whether they're back together again, Mouse Doctor and Cheeto Girl that is.

Well, despite Cheeto Girl's efforts to use Mouse Doctor's tips, she continued to get gutter balls so they lost the game. They lost both games actually. Cheeto Girl was a good sport about losing but Mouse Doctor didn't look too thrilled when we headed out for dinner and a whack of fun was ordered... hahaha.

I'm talking a HUGE whack of food. Don't worry, we let him sulk for a bit but then we all threw in cash to cover the bill.

By the time we got done with bowling and good old delish eating, it was after midnight. Both Snickers and I weren't tired so we spontaniously decideded to head off to Dongdaemoon and Milliora (I think I killed the spelling there), a late night shopping hotspot in Seoul. Milliora is a massive seven-floor shopping mall that closes at 5am and thus attracts a lot of night-hawk shoppers.

We had hoped to pick up a few things. Snickers wanted some more training clothes and I wanted a new jacket and a pair of boots. However, after much frustration we both went home empty handed. I tell ya, in Canada I'm considered a small gal but here in Korea they just don't make clothes that fit my curves. I use to have problems with bra-shopping in Korea, that is until I made it a priority to "down-size" myself by training my chest at the gym three days a week. I no longer have bra-shopping problems but now it's boot shopping that's the issue. I don't have peg-legs, so being able to zip up most Korean-made boots is marked with frustration and numerous sellers who are all too eager to tell me that my legs are "too fat", as they call them, to fit in such boots. I have the very same legs as my mother, "shapely" as my dad refers to them as. My father first fell in love with my mom because of her legs and though I don't have quite the length of legs as my mother does, mine too are curvey. Being an avid runner, my legs are nothing close to being curvey because of fat. They sport muscle, muscle that I once was so proud of but am oh too often frowned at because of by boot sellers.

Nothing is quite like being told bluntly "your size no... too fat" by a boot seller. Being told this tonight by not one but numerous boot sellers definitely was a damper on my shopping spirit, s o with that I gave up on the boots and wanted nothing more than to go home.

Arrived home at 7am, watched Discovery Channel for a bit, cleaned the house, walked Mi Nam, and then crashed at around 11am. Woke up around 6pm to catch some UFC and boxing action on TV.

Didn't do much beyond chillax but I did manage to buy some boots. Mind ya, I bought them via the net, on GMarket. I really wasn't in the mood to have another boot seller frown at me and then struggle to pull another too-tight pair of boots off my legs with two hands.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...

Where do all the shapely girls shop?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
My curves are kicking and if you aren't careful they'll kick you!
-- Me

2 comments:

BRB, Korea! said...

What a confidence-hit when some lady tells you that you're fat, when you're not at all! You just don't have post-calf-reduction-surgery legs that are all atrophied from doing little to no exercise beyond a casual stroll on the treadmill while watching your soaps. /rant

I'm looking at youuuu, clothing and shoe salesladies.

권투선수 에이미 [Amy] said...

Hi BRB, Korea!
Thanks for that bud... hahaha. Would love to have you come out and personally say that to them cause they drive me bonkers with their "your-legs-are-too-big" frowns.