As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Dreams Do Come True... Friday, January 14

Had a late night spontaneous in-house picnic date with Snickers to mark the end of his “free-style eating”, well at least for the next month.

On February 20 Snickers is scheduled to fight. Snickers is registered as a super light boxer but he’s been wanting to move up in weight class for some time now and returning from Japan at 83kgs posed the perfect opportunity to do so. Since he’s returned from Japan, he’s lost about 5kgs which isn’t much considering. He’s jumped back into training and now that he’s scheduled a fight he’s training 2-3 times a day – weight training at 7am, mountain running in the afternoon and then boxing in the early evening.

Snickers wants to fight at either welter weight (66.67kgs) or super welter weight (69.85kgs) and how ironic but his apparent competition trains at our boxing club -- an up and coming welter weight boxer, and Panty Boy Jr. who is a welter weight champion. However, the up and coming welter weight boxer, though he’s winning his games, is still very wet behind the ears and lacks in experience, both in the ring and with sparring. As for Panty Boy Jr., he’s stepped out of the boxing community until further notice and it’s questionable if he’ll return.

Snickers opponent for this upcoming February fight is the very same opponent Junior Mint had a couple of years ago at his come-back fight. After his February fight he’s hoping to fight a month or so later for the Korean Welter Weight or Super Welter Weight Champion belt, meaning that he may be taking the name, fame and glory away from a teammate.

I say go for it. Snickers' dream is to become a world champion.

Tonight, after our evening picnic, we watched “Cinderella Man” a wicked movie in which my former Canadian boxing coach (Egerton Marcus), his cousin and my friend (Troy Ross) and one of my close friends (Mark Simmons) all played parts in. The movie was awesome for me to watch and see my friends but it helped to feed Snickers passion and drive to succeed in boxing.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What feeds your fire?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
To want to be what one can be is purpose in life.
-- Cynthia Ozick

No comments: