As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Good For The Soul... Wednesday, January 19

When Koreans are sick, they go to the hospital, get a needle in the butt and then drink some funky-smelling herbal drink. Today both Snickers and I were sick -- me with my sore neck and he with a bad cold -- so I opted to do things the Western way, well, a more Westernized way.

Beyond the obvious, that being taking it easy and getting lots of sleep, two things come to mind when I think of being sick, Z-UP and chicken soup. I cancelled my tutoring today with my Church Kiddies and tonight Snickers and I headed out for some hot chicken soup.

As it turned out, searching out a restaurant that served chicken soup wasn't quite as easy as we had anticipated. One restaurant closed down, another moved to who knows where, two others said they had no more chicken soup, and one place was just way too expensive. Ended up stumbling across a particularly old fashioned restaurant. It was empty but open so we found a cozy spot on the floor and ordered two pots of chicken soup. While waiting for the soup, Snickers and I were up to our usual silly selves. Not even a bad cold or sore neck could stop the sillies from coming out to play!!!



I laughed my head off at Snickers and that's pretty much the only thing that kept this Polack from freezing.

Finally our chicken soup arrived. Unlike Canadian chicken soup that's loaded with veggies, noodles and pieces of chicken, Korean chicken soup comes with a whole chicken thrown into some broth, the veggies come in the form of side dishes, and there's no noodles involved.

It wasn't Canadian chicken soup but it surely was delish!!! Not too sure what I like more now though, good old homemade Canadian chicken soup or Korea's "chicken-in-the-soup" chicken soup. You definitely get more chicken in Korea's soup and yup, I'm still all for loading up on the protein.

Can't say all the side dishes were equally delish though. I'm a big fan of Korea's numerous veggy side dishes but tonight a questionable side dish graced my table. It was a plate of chicken intestines and yes, they tasted just as they sounds... not good, not very good at all.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What's your "soul food" for reviving yourself back to health?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory.
-- Albert Schweitzer

No comments: