As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Never Too Old To Learn... Monday, January 17

Prior to heading off to tutor my Church Kiddies, I took the morning to translate some of the words for their textbook reading activity. Ended up bitting off a little more than I could chew though when I then decided to attempt to translate the whole reading sentence by sentence... twenty sentences in total.
Not too sure on what I was thinking when I then decided to write the whole text on the white board. In the end it made it easy for me to point out and slap on some Korean translations but writing it out left me with quite a sore right hand.

At the end of our reading activity I then read aloud my Korean translation of the text. The kids had a good laugh at my attempt and ended up helping me edit it somewhat. My only regret with learning the Korean language is that I didn't invest the time, effort and money into it when I first came to Korea because I use it so much now that I tutor. Whether it's talking to my students' mothers, trying to explain a grammar point indepth, or dealing with the new vocab in my students' lessons, I'm at the point where I am very dependent on my Korean language skills. My dependency obviously goes way beyond the classroom and my tutoring too but I find it highly effective to use it at various points in my lesson.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What is one thing you wish you learned earlier?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.
-- Abigail Adams

No comments: