As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

One Frozen Polack in Korea... Sunday, January 16

Decided to go for a late night run – or an early, early morning run depending on how you look at it – and so I headed out the door on with an Ipod loaded with tunes and lots of layers. Three layers to be exact.

FIRST LAYER
second-skin shirt (it’s like an athletic version of thermal
underwear)
second-skin pants
sports bra
pair of long socks

SECOND LAYER
Adidas sweater
Adidas training pants
pair of short
Adidas socks

THIRD LAYER
Adidas windbreaker jacket
Adidas
windbreaker pants
Adidas running shoes
baseball cap
neck warmer
gloves
iPod with ear phones

I headed out for a run. I was anticipating only running 7km but ended up doing 9km. The path around Dankook was still sports a lot of ice but with all the students having walked on it the path is packed and good for running on.

Upon returning to Ggum Guum after my super late night/early morning run, I stripped down. The weather in Korea has been ultra chilly this week but tonight it reached an all-time low of -18. Running with quite a number of layers on meant I didn’t feel this chill but little did I know that while I was out there running my little Polish tush around the Dankook lake my house was freezing up. I discovered just how bad the weather was when there I stood totally buck naked in a shower that refused to do anything but make the water pipes groan and moan. No water came out.

Snickers was still out with his boys so I ended up calling him. He rushed home, God bless his soul, to find me curled up in a corner. My options were pretty limited as to what I could do. Piling on the layers for a run meant I had worked up quite a sweat and was in desparate need for a shower. I figured my options were as follows:

a. Go to a public bath house.
b. Heat up some bottled water and try to hand wash myself.
c. Take a cold shower with the bottled water.
d. Towel dry myself and wait till morning to shower.
I ended up resorting to option 4, towel dry myself and wait till morning to shower, but let me tell you, I felt so nasty throwing on my bathrobe after only towel drying myself. Snickers said it was ok but I felt nothing short of dirty so I tried not to let him cuddle with me.

S: It’s okay… I like my dirty girl.
A: Don’t call me dirty. It’s not my fault.
S: Ok, but you’re still a dirty, smelly girl.
A: If I wasn’t so cold I’d kick you so watch it Mr.!... hahaha.


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Does anyone actually like this drastically cold weather?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation.
-- Kin Hubbard

No comments: