As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Too Pooped to Party More... Friday, January 28

Today marked the final day of tutoring my Church Kiddies so we thought we'd go out with a big bang. We finished off making our music videos and then headed over to the church business manager's apartment for a big combined class party. He's a great guy but the feast that he and his wife (and many of my students too for that matter) cooked up in the kitchen was well beyond what we had anticipated. David, one of the manager's sons who is also one of my students, knew I loved chicken so he convinced his father to cook me one of my favorite Korean chicken dishes... very delish!!!

Before we sat down for the massive feast they had cooked us, we sat around and played games. We had games, we had munchies... we even had Snickers! Yup, even Snickers came out to our party. He was kind of like our honorary guest. The kids have only met him a couple of times but they insisted I bring him along. Snickers and some of the girls played the Korean rendition of Monopoly and I posed as the banker. Snickers was no competition for little Sophia so I asked her to help be a banker with me and then I totally ignored her pocketing of cash... hahaha. She still ended up losing but she had fun trying to be all sneaky with me... hahaha.



After much of the food was gobbled up and the games had been played, my students presented me with some gifts they had prepared. One of the gifts that stood out was from two girls, Juliet and Vicky. They had prepared a box with chocolate and Korean yogurt drinks in it, and I had a good laugh at that because of a specific moment we had in class involving these two items. Good times. What was so unique about this gift though was that inside the box they had spent hours folding paper cranes and making paper stars which they then scattered and glued within the box. It was quite pretty!

Our party had started at 4pm, after class, and Snickers and I started to say our goodbyes at 8pm. I didn't know how to properly say goodbye to them so I gave a quick speech, thanked them and then went around the room hugging each and everyone of them.
I felt sad to say goodbye and disappointed that I had to.
QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What's so good about goodbyes?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
-- Alan Kay

No comments: