As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Who You Calling Broken?!... Saturday, January 15

First and foremost, I am proud but amused to say that I got carded today. It happened when I went to go buy movie tickets at the theater to see "Love and Drugs", a new flick starring Ann Hathaway and some Jake-dude that I should know his name but don't.

Anyways, the girl asked for my ID to which Snickers blurted out "She's married. Kids don't get married." "That's right" I answered. "Kids have kids but adults marry" and with that added comment I threw in I opened a full can of worms.

S: Adults have babies too!
A: Yes, but most of my friends don't.
S: But a lot of my friends have kids.
A: Yes, that's true. But you and your friends are also four years younger -- kids!
S: They did it the smart way; they had kids young.
A: Ya, that's right cause when they were out pooping out babies my friends and I were doing the dumb thing by getting an education.
S: So what? Now you're educated friends are too smart to have babies?
A:No... well, maybe... hahaha.
S: Well then that's just selfish.
A: How is that selfish?
S: Keeping all that brain power and not wanting to reproduce it.


I'm still very anti-baby with regards to what I think is best for me. I'm too busy enjoying my life with Snickers to even want to begin to share him with someone else. I'll share him with our families and I'll share him with our friends but at the end of the day he comes home to little old me who happily and greedily (if that's even such a word) hoards him to herself for the night.

S: Why don't we try to have a baby? I mean, we can go see a doctor.
A: Why, so we can totally kill the romance in our life and replace it with you squirty 'the boys' into a cup?
S: Oh come on, we'll still have our 'special time'.
A: With what... a crying baby on the side watching?!
S: Why don't you just try?
A: Why try so hard for something I don't even want.
S: But maybe once you have a baby you'll change your mind.
A: And what if I don't? I can't just tell the baby to go back to where it came from.
S: Hmmm...
A: And what happens if I don't even like the kid?!
S: Don't like your own kid? Trust me, a kid will make you happy.
A: I am happy. Plus, I've never leaned on anyone to be responsible for my happiness and I highly doubt pushing out a bowling ball from a ping-pong ball hole who is then going to eat me out of house and home is going to make me happy. That's just craziness.
S: Craziness...
A: If it's not broken than don't fix it.
S: What?... what's broken?
A: Nothing and that's my point.

Snickers thought he clued into whatever it was that I said wasn't broken and blurted out "... but you are broken" as a joke though I didn't find it too funny. I gave him a good kidney shot for that.

This conversation for some time, after all we had about an hour to kill before the movie and despite living a hop, skip and a jump away from the theater it was too cold to go home.


For the most part our conversation was rather sarcastic and not intended to be taken to heart but I'm always reminding him of something someone once told me. "Fifty percent of what we joke about is true".

Snickers isn't so pro-baby these days but he sure does like to poke about the issue sometimes. He knows it's a sensitive subject with me and sometimes I think he's just trying to get under my skin. He says he's a sucker for my "poutting face". I didn't even know I had such a poutting face but whatever.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What do you joke about?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
The more you find out about the world, the more opportunities there are to laugh at it.
-- Bill Nye


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you guys discuss the baby thing before getting married?

As you probably already know Koreans are pretty pro-baby in general (especially pro boy baby)..so even if your husband is fine with being childless right now he may not be so thrilled a little later down the line. I personally never met any Korean men that either didn't have children or didn't want children at some point (though I'm sure such men exist...but is Snickers one of them?)