As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"The Working Man is a Sucker"... Wednesday, January 26

I promised my Church Kiddies that I'd make a video with them a while back and with this week being our last week together we figured it was now or never. But with many of my Church Kiddies having siblings in the other class, word spred pretty quickly so now I'v'e agreed to make a video with both classes.

The Beginner Class
They'll be doing a little song and dance to a Veggie Tales song. We've worked out some cute hand gestures, drew a few pictures to be used in the video and we wrote a new verse to replace one of the originals.

The Advance Class
The song they'll be singing and doing a little act-out to is a revised Beetle's song about learning English. Each student has a little solo part, one verse has them singing in two groups, and we made a human alphabet, literally, to incorporate into our little music video.


Today both classes and I started working on the singing aspect of the music video. I was happy to not just how enthusiastic and excited my elementary Church Kiddies were; they spent an hour and a half on just practicing reading and singing the song!!!

My advanced Church Kiddies are kind of getting to that stage where they're too cool to act silly and do any kind of work besides group work so getting anyone to volunteer to do a solo was hard. Put a quick end to that problem by making solo lines within the song for everyone... hahaha. Even I scored a solo line. My line is "All together now".

All my Church Kiddies are excited about making a class video, as am I. Now that I have a video editing program back on my notebook computer I'll be able to pump out more mini videos so stay tuned.

In other news, the job hunting continues... and it continues to not be fun. I'm really trying to stay optimitic and look at it as an adventure, a way to try something new, but I'm coming to the conclusion that being a foreigner in Korea means being an English teacher or... being an English teacher. There's really not that many options out there for us foreigners. I thought that getting my F2 visa would mean a whole new world but all it has led me to run into are bitter E2 visa holders that think the F2 visa is some kind of magic key.

If a F2 is a magic key, what door does it exactly open?!

Sure with a F2 I can take on numerous jobs, part time work, tutoring, and I can easily quit if I want but the pickings out there aren't so great. I almost choked on my coffee when I got a phone call today, a lady offering me a position. Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 7pm with a monthly pay of 2.2 million a month.

Dang... I get paid double that doing what I do now, tutoring. I wouldn't even be looking for a job if someone from the church in Asan would step up to the plate. I'm feeling a bit bitter about it to tell you the truth. There's a total of eight families I tutor for in Asan (my Church Kiddies) and despite all the effort and time I've put forth into offering their children not only a comfortable place to learn and practice English but the special older sister kind of relationship I've created with each of them, I thought at least one parent would try to continue our class. And don't even get me started at how huge of a discount they get for me tutoring them verses a private academy where they'd be easily paying double.

I live in Cheonan, you all know that, and well Cheonan ain't exactly Seoul, so getting any real decent job that pays well usually means heading off to Seoul. One of the jobs I am considering is working at a hospital in Seoul. I'd basically be the private tutor for their CEO and would help any visiting foreign clients. The position interests me in the fact that it doesn't throw me in a classroom but in a working environment where I'd be interacting with people. I'd be hired to speak English but my role wouldn't be to necessarily teach English. The pay is awesome but the hours and the trek into work would kill my other assigned tutoring time that I'm already doing.

Another job I was pondering was being a privator tutor for an up and coming female professional golfer. The salary was good but the bonus of the job is that you'd go everywhere that she'd go, as in different countries! Now that I'm married though, I really don't care to be away from my husband for weeks on end so the thought of traveling without him sounds terribly lonely. I remember when Snickers and I traveled to the Philippines. He headed back to Korea a day earlier so I checked out an incredibly beautiful five star resort. It was stunning and amazing but being there without him left me regretting even going there in the first place.

If I stuck to just tutoring the Little Cookie Monster, the G.G. Prince, and my Samsung VP Blue, as well as continue my my personal training, I'd come out making about 2.4 million won a month. And that's only me working about 13.5 hours a week. Don't know if I'd really call it work though, I quite enjoy my time with my private students and I love personal training my clients.

Not too sure what to do at this point. Tutoring is great when you got it but it's hard to find. Both the Little Cookie Monster and the G.G. Prince live in the other two apartments in my building (which only has three apartments) so it's made our building and my relationship with my neighbors quite cozy. The Little Cookie Monster is always knocking on my door with gifts of choco pies he stole from his mother's kitchen cabinet. I don't have the heart to tell him I don't eat choco pies but hey, if you ever come to my house and want one, be my guest. I've got about 12 choco pies in my freezer... hahaha. As for the G.G. Prince, he's grown on me a bit more and he too randomly comes knocking on my door, asking me for homework advice. I'm hoping that me tutoring both little boys that live in my building will lead to other tutoring but it's hard to tell and I can't depend on that. It sure is awesome though having students come to me for tutoring as suppose to me making the trek out to them like my brutally early 6am drives out to Samsung in Asan.

I really wish I could add a couple of more tutoring students to my schedule not only because the money is great but because I really prefer working one-on-one with students. It really doesn't feel like work. Not only do they learn quicker and have a more appropriately guided lesson but the relationships I've made with my tutoring students is one I really cherish and admire.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Where are all the English-hungry students of Cheonan?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
You do your best work if you do a job that makes you happy.
-- Bob Ross

No comments: