As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Everyday IS Special... Monday, February 14

Today was Valentine’s Day.

Here in Korea Valentine’s Day is directed towards the guys and White Day (March 14) is for us girls. Chocolate is given to guys on Valentine’s Day and candy is given to the girls, but I wish it was the opposite.

So today was Valentine’s Day… so what?!

Although I’m married to a man who leans on the “every day is a special day” excuse, which I find is a cheap cop-out, I must admit that Snickers does in fact do daily romantic gestures and things on a daily bases that I think are quite sweet.

Take for example whenever one of us leaves the apartment without the other, say to go meet up with friends or to go jogging. Whenever on leaves Ggum Guum, the other walks them to the door and then stands half out the balcony window, waving good-bye. A text message to each other immediately follows. We always give each other a quick kiss right before we eat. He always gives me the first taste of everything and I always give him the last bit. We love our midday coffee breaks where we just sit on the floor chatting to each other, and I love our midmorning naptime. He always tucks me into the blanket and holds my hand when we go to sleep. Awhile back, Snickers picked up the slang word “spoon”, so he loves to use and abuse that word when we’re sleeping. Often during the night he’ll yell out either “coffee spoon” or “soup spoon”. Coffee spoon means he wants to cuddle up to me whereas soup spoon means he wants me to turn and curl up around his body.

So, as it turns out, Snickers is right. Everyday is special. Not only do I have a man who loves me through the good, the bad, and the ugly, he's quite the hopeless romantic. Whether it's a hidden post-it note love letter stuck on my computer screen or him jumping in my shower to scrub my back, there's not a day that goes by that he isn't affectionate to me. I don't think most people are as blessed as I am in matters of the heart, in love. I realized this early on too, back when I first realized I had strong feelings for him. I was so scared to be so happy. Sounds strange, true, but I knew that what we had wasn't so common and it wasn't replaceable. I know of way too many people that have settled, grew apart, skipped the honeymoon stage, or have never even fallen in love.

I'm still very much in the honeymoon stage, if you'd even call it a stage that is. Snickers and I have been in this "stage" ever since we first started dating.

It’s funny too cause when I first met Snickers I was very nervous of him and the reputation he had. He had been labeled as a bad boy. Often I see this bad boy in him surface. I’ve seen it in curb-side confrontations with other drivers, past fights he’s had that still remain in the grapevine, and I see it whenever someone does me wrong. Heaven help the guy who dare touches a hair on my head. He’s not out of control with it though, he knows his boundaries. Most the time I think he just likes to intimidate the other person and wouldn’t actually go through with anything. I’ve seen things escalade but never to the point where he’s laid a hand on someone.

Regardless, Snickers has been labeled a bad boy by some but that’s okay by me because he’s an absolute sweetheart to me.

“You can be a bad boy to everyone” I told him, “as long as you’re good to me.”

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Who makes your day special?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.
-- Carl Jung

No comments: