As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Hair-Pulling Traffic... Monday, February 21

I've been working hard to get in work-out time because of job hunting, it's been eating up my time... and patience.

Boo to job hunting!!!

Boo to Cheonan too, for it's total lack of decent jobs that aren't insanely insulting in pay and expectations.

I'm trying to line up a job for March, which is but a hop, skip and jump away, so I feel like I've been stalking Dave's ESL Cafe and other such Internet sites for jobs. Consequently, it's been playing it toll on my energy and motivation levels. It's just so discouraging.

Seoul is the place to land a good job so off to Seoul Snickers and I headed yet again. I was there on Friday but upon putting the pieces together and realizing that Cat and I were going for the same job, I told them I didn't want to be even considered for the position.

Today I had two interviews, one for a book publishing company that's just recently started a children's reading program and the other interview was for a Korean daycare that's turned all English. Unlike so many of the jobs out here that are way beyond cookie-cut, the daycare position sounds really interesting. Moreover, I really respect that fact that I'd be working alongside Koreans that are trained professionals that actually went to school for this, early childhood education.

I really want the daycare position.

I really want get back to having some kind of routine, too.

Running off to Seoul for simple interviews is quite frustrating. Interviews last any where from 20-45 minutes so an hour drive into the city and then another hour fight with the city traffic is rather annoying. Then of course you have to drive home!!! Plan is to skip the traffic all together and take the train or express bus in if I score a Seoul job. Driving a car in Seoul is just pointless, that is unless you like testing your stress levels out and raising your blood pressure to expremes.

After battling the nonscense of Seoul traffic, we headed over to see one of Snickers' aunts in hopes of taking a break from the stress of the road and getting to stretch our legs. Snickers' aunt owns her own little corner stop. It was the first time I've visited her shop but it was great. It was like one big free-for-all in that she said if we were hungry or thirsty we could help ourselves... dangerous words when Snickers is involved cause he can eat his weight in food and eat you out of house and home.

Snickers' other aunt, Auntie Almond (K-Gere's other sister who got this name because of the excessive bags of almonds and chocolates she always sends my way), ended up dropping by so we all went for dinner together.



Here's a shot I took of our dinner and below, these are shots of Auntie Almond with her sister's dog and Snickers with the store's guard dog eyeing me in the background.


Tonight, the two aunts I met up with are both K-Gere's sisters; I like them. Snickers of course loves them too but totally blames me for their new fiesty manners... hahaha. I'm always joking with Snickers, punching him in the bum, pulling his hair, hitting his head with my knuckles, but it's all in good fun. Of course I don't intend on hurting him but I also don't refrain from such actions when others are around. At first, onlookers are somewhat shocked at our boysterous ways but it's always funny how quick others are to join in... hahaha. Tonight, when Snickers was in the bathroom, I taught Auntie Almond what I call the "belly-button-thumb-punch"... hahaha... and no sooner did Snickers return to the table but then she tried it out on him... hahaha.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Do I have to grow up?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.
--Author Unknown

No comments: