As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Shared Pain... Friday, February 18

They say shared pain is half pain but that wasn't quite the case today when I woke up to a bloody finger. Snickers and I hold hands when we go to sleep [feel free to add your make-me-gag comments/looks here] so whatever he cut his finger on, perhaps a straw piece of plastic that had become a casualty of an earlier on wrestling match, then cut mine.

So much for half pain, this was double pain.

Being now married, I have a lot of "doubles" in my life... my family size has doubled, I have double the mail, double cell phone bills, laundry loads have doubled as well as the dirty dishes, but now I find I have half the patience for people in annoyingly silly yo-yo relationships or unhappy relationships. A relationship is work and it is what you make of it, or least that's what I've found to be true from my own experience. I was smart in that when so many people were doubting my new found relationship with Snickers and throwing in their measely two-cents about me leaving Q for him, I didn't listen to any of them.

Did you know, I only dated Snickers 8 months prior to marrying him?! We've now been married a year, which is longer than we dated.

So often I hear of friends' unhappy marriages. Marriages that were distroyed by a cheating spouse or where they thought having a kid would patch up an already nose-diving marriage. I always am surprised when I hear of these relationships and I can't help but compare it to my own relationship with Snickers, a relationship which started with two people who didn't even speak the same language, who came from opposite sides of the globe, and who seemed to be from opposing walks of life.

Lately Snickers and I have been addicted to this Korean TV show called "Marriage is Crazy". It's a show that centers around four married couples who each have a child and who each have their own set of numerous problems. I always feel strange watching this show but can't help but watch. There's one particular couple that drives me mental and causes Snickers to yell at the TV screen. In this couple, the wife is seriously afraid of her husband, her husband who has hit her numerous times and, consequently, she's had to go to the hospital.

I can't stand couples like this, couples so happy. I feel sorry for them because I don't understand why they'd let it get to such a point, such extremes, where they're so unhappy and in the case of this couple on TV are contemplating suicide.

I married Snickers till death do us part and though my mom jokes and says "well this can be arranged", I think my marriage is as happy as I make it to be. A relationship is work and I work at it everyday. Somedays it's like child's play but then there are days, like Chusoek, that require some work.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Are you happily married?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
The conception of two people living together for twenty-five years without having a cross word suggests a lack of spirit only to be admired in sheep.
-- Alan Patrick Herbert

No comments: