As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Human Jerky... Tuesday, March 1

I've always been what my mom has labelled me as a curious-George, as in George the monkey from the children's storybook, so naturally when Snickers suggested we go check out this "Discovery of Human Body" exhibit, I was all for it... at first that is.

I'm a huge fan of the Discovery Channel, so I thought this exhibit would be similar to something I'd see on TV. It didn't really hit me though that unlike a TV show that's two dimensional and basically only plays on two of your sense, sight and sound, an exhibit would capture and play upon all my senses... well, that and the urge to gag.

I'm not too sure what I really expected but an hour and a half car ride over to Icheon helped to build up the anticipation and excitement. I guess I was expecting the figures in the exhibit to look like real people but just dead. Instead however, the figures looked like they had gone through shrink wrapping; they looked like beef jerky, of which I'm sure I will never eat again for a very, very, very, VERY long time!

Snickers thought it was cool, I was rather uncomfortable about it but when he asked me to pose for the above picture and the Beef-Jerky Shotput Man wobbled on the stand, it freaked me right out.

It was strangely interesting to see it all laid out in front of my eyes... all body parts for my eyes to take in. I leaned forward and did the mistake of taking in a deep breath of the funky smell and I even snuck a feel of one figure's leg muscles. I was somewhat disturbed by the display of all the figures but I couldn't help but continue to investigate the figures more with my curious eyes. The only way I could describe it would be to compare it to a bad road accident. You really don't want to see any dead body on the road or all the blood but you just can't pry yourself away, so you join the dozen of other drivers who slow down and check out the scene. That was the exhibit for me today.

Then there were some very odd figures, like the baby with no brain and the two Siamese twins. The part of the exhibit that really got to more than just my simple five senses was the fetus display. The display showed the development of a unborn baby starting at week one.

It was interesting to see how a fetus at three months already has a head of hair but the stage of the development that freaked me out was week seven. At week seven, the baby has all it's parts but it's no bigger than a toonie (that's a Canadian two dollar coin if you didn't know). It was so wild to see it, so tiny. It's fingers and two were so incredibly small; I've never seen anything like this.

I'm not too sure how I'd really desribe the exhibit as being because I left the building seriously craving fresh air. My gagging reflexes had been fully exercised and my tummy hurt. I did like the exhibit though, despite it making me feel a bit sick.
Snickers is originally from Icheon so because we were in his hometown he took me around town to show me some of his favorite hotspots, of which the Tree of Bells was very cool.

It wasn't windy today so I didn't really get to hear the numerous bells ringing but it was fun to take pictures of it and watch Snickers try to make the bells ring by throwing small pebbles at it.

After our trip to the park and the Tree of Bells, we headed downtown for some street snackies and then cuddled in a couch at a local coffee shop.
QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Why does the strange and deranged interest so many of us?
QUOTE OF THE DAY...
If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. The free mind is not a barking dog, to be tethered on a ten-foot chain.
-- Adlai E. Stevenson Jr

No comments: