As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Letter from Your Dad?... Wednesday, March 23

Though I still get random people approaching me about my boxing or reconizing me from TV, it was pretty cool to have one of my students' parents write to me about it.

My elementary students at the academy and my daycare children all know that my husband and I are professional boxers. Everyday I have some random child at the daycare testing out some kind of punching combo on me or randomly trying to punch me in the bum. But whether it's the daycare children insisting on testing my strength by seeing how many kids can climb into my arms and on my back while I try to stand up or my academy kids asking me to flex, they make me feel like Wonder Woman and it's hilarious.

My academy students seem to be overly fasinated with asking me strange questions like, "Do people really punch you in the face?" and "Do you cry when they punch you?" To them, I'm sure the thought of me a girl stepping in the ring whether it's for training, sparring or fighting seems so strange and foreign to them.

Turns out one of my students' parent is a huge boxing fan. This particular student came to school today with a note. Apparently my student's father had a part to play in the publishing of the big half-pager newspaper story that was written about Snickers and I a year an a half ago. The note also asked me if I'd be attending the championship round of the recent boxing tournament -- the tournament that both the Cheonan Bulldog and the Heavy Hitter were/are in -- because he was hoping to officially meet me.

[Side note -- the Heavy Hitter won't be fighting as anticipated due to his opponent. I'm not too sure if his opponent forfeited or got injured during sparring, regardless, the fight's been canceled.]

I actually am not able to attend the tournament this Sunday. Snickers' sister is having this massive family lunch to introduce her boyfriend's family to her family, a typical Korean thing to do if you're engaged, which they're not... don't even get me started on that. So ya, no tournament for me but I will be there for Black Skinny's fight on April 16th!!!

CLICK HERE to see the English version of the article.

[Another side note -- my name is NOT Amy Mitchell Wierizoski. Yes, my first name is Amy but my middle name is Michelle, and as for my last name, they pretty much killed my Polish name though they did get the "ski" part right.]

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
What happened to the Heavy Hitter's opponent?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.
-- Author Unknown

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read the article :) It's written in a funny english and it's lovely ^^

Fabi