As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Source of Energy... Wednesday, March 16

Lots of fun at boxing today... damn, I love this sport!!!

Tonight the boxing club was packed with some of my favorite boys but I was especially stoked to see Black Skinny walk through the club door. Training alongside him means an automatic extra boost of energy.

Black Skinny is scheduled to fight April 16th.

I haven't been doing pad work for a few months now because of my wrist injury. I've been doing everything else at boxing but have been hitting the sand bag light. I thought I'd be able to jump back into it a couple of weeks ago but a sharp pain raced up my arm, which was a cruel reality check, telling me that I wasn't quite ready. The doctor gave me his go-ahead but told me to be careful.

Not being able to give it my all at boxing has been very frustrating, almost depressing actually. I didn't really lead on to just how much it ate me up but it did. Watching Snickers pound away at the sand bag but not being able to physically do the same was really disappointing. Junior Mint has noticed this too and today he told me to give pad work a try, so I did.

Black Skinny stood ringside and watched as I geared up and started round one on pad work.

It didn't hurt. It felt awesome!

So on that note, Junior Mint continued. We went round after round, both of us not really noting just how many rounds had passed. We totally ignored the round bell and continued on through the round breaks.

I went 6 non-stop rounds... fifteen minutes.

Don't get me wrong, going 8 non-stop rounds meant my arms were spent at the end and I was on the verge of drowning in my own sweat but it was awesome. "Baby I'm back!" I yelled out.

After I pretty much killed myself doing padwork, one of my buddies and another fellow boxer stepped into the ring for sparring. They didn't do much sparring though cause in the first round, my buddy delivered quite the brutal body shot and down his opponent went. His opponent ended up staying crouched in the corner for a couple of minutes before he could step out of the ring... ouch!!!

I had shown up at boxing after a long day. I had left the house at 7am for Bundang, worked at the daycare from 8:30am to 2pm, worked at the academy from 2:30pm to 6:30pm and then spent about an hour and a half traveling home in traffic. Upon returning home, I then quickly changed my clothes and headed out for boxing.

It's funny how despite showing up so spent from the day, I can totally get a second wind and continue at full force at training. Mind ya, I definitely got to give Black Skinny and Junior Mint a lot of credit for that. I feed off of Black Skinny's energy and both he and Junior Mint make me want to push myself, in addition to them pushing me that is.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Who or what pushes you?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
Impossible is nothing.
-- Mohammad Ali

No comments: