As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Skipped a Couple of Days to Catch Up... Tuesday, March 22

So... the secret's out.

I let the cat out of the bag, so to speak, at the daycare today... the secret being that I speak Korean. It wasn't a secret to anyone but the children whom I see everyday at the daycare where I work. I don't directly teach English to the children, instead I incorporate it into daily activities we do, like washing our hands and eating lunch, and in our daily play. But the key to them learning English via play is for them to believe they're just playing, not learning, and getting them to try to interpret for themself what it is I am conveying to them.

I get paid to play. Yup, it's true.

I make more money playing with children than I did teaching at the university. Mind ya, refraining from speaking Korean within the classroom is the hardest part of my job and let me tell you, it's really hard to do so. It'd be so much easier to use Korean to teach English, like when they looked at me with puzzled faces when I asked where the bathroom was. I ended up pretending like I was pooping but they still didn't get it. Moreover, the children are always trying to teach me Korean though they have absolutely no idea that I totally understand what they're saying amongst themselves.

But today I let the secret out.

It all went down while we were out taking a walk to a nereby art center. I work with two co-teachers and one of them lead the line of 19 children while the other walked at the half point of the line. I ended up managing the back of the line, a task that proved quite stressful.
So there we all were, 19 children, 2 Korean teachers and me. We were returning to the daycare, crossing a small part of road when an older Korean man stepped in front of our line and started to direct a Korean lady backing up her car. Most of the children had crossed already, there was only 5 children and me.

The Korean man quickly looked up at us but continued directing the moving car, the car contiued to move backwards, and the children continued to move towards the rest of the line. I yelled out in English to the children but because they're English understanding basically consists of only numbers, colors and other random words, my words were just as useful as if I hadn't said anything at all.

So I yelled out in Korean and they stopped dead in their tracks. I scooped up two of the kids in my arms and the other three came to me immediately, as I had told them to. I guess I should have shut up there but after I made sure the children were safe on the other side of the street I approached the older Korean man and told him he has to be more careful.

I felt so sick from the whole situation. We only had five more minutes till we were back at the daycare but I tell ya, it felt like forever and I was so glad to be back. I've never really been a fan of children but these children are my responsibility, so it's my duty to keep them safe in addition to other things I am responsible fufilling.

A couple of those in the 5 involved today I've got a keen liking for, like a particular little guy who is by far the strangest little one I've ever met. He clearly sticks out among the others. Initially, he smart-mouthed me in Korean the first day I met him and threw a bit of a spaz when I spoke English. Now however, he climbs all over me and every workday at the daycare starts with him insisting I play a game he's made. My co-teachers are convinced he's in love with me and I think he's pretty cool. I can't even begin to explain just how off the wall he thinks. He's the kid that colors outside of the lines on the paper and uses every color in the box... at once!

Anyways, I honestly felt like I was a mother reacting to the situation that played out today, a role I have no interest in playing. I much rather remain the teacher.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
If feeling sick to your stomach about your kid's safety is a part of what it means to be a mom, then why do so many women eagerly enter motherhood?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one.
-- Leo J. Burke

1 comment:

Jane esltweets said...

Hi there, enjoyed reading through your blog. We're setting up a new esl forum here www.esltweets.com Maybe you'd be interested to add some blogs and link back to your page? Best wishes,

Jane