As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, April 02, 2011

Sporting the Potential to Breath Fire... Saturday, April 2

With our building buzzing with at least a dozen and a couple of dozen construction workers, working on both my landlord's apartment and the old restaurant beside us, it was about time workers were sent to deal with our place. We've been living in basically only half our family room and bathroom for the past week or so, as opposed to being able to really use our kitchen and bedroom/clothes room. Getting dressed in the morning consists of digging around in our massive clothes pile that's just inches from our pillow; it's definitely annoying.

Saturdays and Sundays are my only two free days so I don't take likely to random workers showing up at my house early in the morning, even if it is to help better my situation. And waiting around for these random workers who ended showing up like five hours late meant I was one grumpy Pollack in the background while they worked.

I don't know about you but as far as I'm concerned putting wallpaper up usually means you have to peel the previous wallpaper off first, especially if it's got mold on it... yup. I didn't think wallpapering was brain surgery but... ya... no comment. Thankfully I had taken the liberty the day before to try to treat the paper, scrubbing it with what I was told would help disinfect it.

In addition to the wallpaper that was so obviously needing to be delt with, under the fake wood flooring in Ggum Guum is a continuation caused by the water problem. Actually, it's both under and on the floor. All you have to do is check out the corners in my house to see evidence of a water problem. Mold doesn't just grow on it's own.

My landlord's wife stood and watched the workers tend to my apartment while Snickers sat with me in the other room -- I think he was doing "crowd control" cause I had way more than my two cents to comment about while they worked away. Anyways, Snickers had to leave just shortly after 7:30pm for work so I stayed. I ended up falling asleep on the floor while I waited for them to finish. I woke up around 10pm to a chilly apartment. My front door was wide open as were the bedroom and kitchen windows, but there was no one but Mi Nam and I. The workers and my landlord's wife had left and hadn't even so much as closed my door. I jumped up at the realization that they were all gone.

"I guess this means the work is done?" I questioned myself, and with that I quickly did an inspection of Ggum Guum. And what should I find but low and behold not only did they not do anything about the mold under the floor but in some sections they extended the wallpaper under the flooring. I wasn't too sure whether to right that off as pure laziness or them trying to find a cheap fix to hiding the mold, regardless, I was definitely ticked. As far as I was concerned, their cheap-a$$ work was but a cheap bandaid, a bandaid to cover up having to actually deal with the problem. Professional my butt... I'm sure my 7 year olds at the daycare could have done a better job. If this were Canada, if this kind of pathetic crap went down the health and safety board would be pounding on their doors and all up in their face. Seriously, this is not cool. It was getting late but I was too ticked to care, so I called Snickers and insisted he give me the number of my landlord.

I would have stormed down to their apartment but with them getting their apartment totally renovated they're off living God-knows-where for the past month plus some. Snickers hesitated with giving me the number but he knows me well enough to know that he'd never hear the end of this if he didn't. Got the number, but with not really knowing all the vocab I'd be needing to fight this anticipated battle I had to look up some words prior to taking any action.

Resorted to text messaging my landlord after I realized I was way too ticked to do anything but jump through their phone and upper cut them. My text was short but it definitely wasn't sweet. It was sour and it ended with telling them that Snickers and I are moving out. We're not moving out, well we could but we haven't really discussed it. It was me bluffing... let's just hope they don't call my bluff. I'm way too busy to be house-hunting and I do really love Ggum Guum despite it's flaws.

QUESTION OF THE DAY...
How come common sense isn't so common?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...

Some people say "If you can't beat them, join them". I say "If you can't beat them, beat them", because they will be expecting you to join them, so you will have the element of surprise.
-- Author Unknown

No comments: