As many of you know, Snickers and I are
planning to open up our own boxing club, sooner than later, but we haven’t yet
approach Junior Mint about it. It’s been
hard to not talk to him about it; I talk to him about so much, perhaps too
much. He was the first person I told I
was dating Snickers actually.
Junior Mint clearly is more than just a
coach to me and when I walked into the boxing club today, wearing the weight of
this already hard to keep secret, it became all that heavier when he yelled out
my name and greeted me with a huge hug.
He had a million and one questions about why I haven’t been at training
and MIA on Kakao Talk (phone text messaging).
He had heard that I had been attending night school out in Seoul.
“What were you studying?” he asked.
And there it was, the unavoidable, expected
question that my answer would clearly bring about a million and one additional
questions, starting with “what business are you interested in starting?”. I didn’t know what to say, so I blurted out “spontaneous
human combustion”. I figured throwing
out some large English words would confuse him and deter him from asking
more. I had a little chuckle over it
though. “You may very well spontaneously
combust when you find out”, I mumbled to myself.
I so eagerly want to share my secret with him. He’s always been my go-to-person for big
news, much like how my dad and mom were when I lived in Canada. This secret has been definitely hard to keep
from him because I really want to tell him, he’s my go-to-person. I want
to share my good news with him but I know that my good news will be his bad
news. I'm not quite sure how he'll react to it but Snickers is eager to tell him. I think perhaps Snickers feels guilty like me for holding onto such a secret. I know he won't be happy but he'll understand that this isn't us trying to insult or turn against him because he knows that my boxing was what kept me in Korea so long. Snickers' boxing is what had us contemplating moving to Canada and to the Philippines. I almost moved to Japan because of it. Junior Mint knows that we're very driven by our boxing and both passionate about it -- it's not what we do, it's what we're all about. We both love boxing so it seems only fitting that we'd explore it in this fashion -- coaching and running a club. I'm already running a fitness company, hosting 3-5 boxercise classes every weekend and doing personal training during the week so it was only about time I'd take it to the next level. I simply can't do that at UP.
The other month I cracked at training, I
told my secret to Black Skinny. I’ve known him since I started training at
UP. Panty Boy Jr., my former teammate
and equally long friend, also knows my news and he’s already expressed his full
support and desire to train at my club.
I’m so overly excited about this great new
adventure. Ever since Snickers and I
stumbled across the building, I’ve been visiting it every single day, even
sometimes twice a day. The other day I
told Snickers I was heading out for a run but what I really did was I went
there. I know that place inside and out
now and the more and more I visit it the more I feel in love with it, strange
but true.
This is going to be such a wicked venture,
I just know it.
Snickers asked me if us starting our own
boxing club meant I didn’t want to move back to Canada but in all honestly I’ve
been questioning that for a long time, for about a good year and half
actually. I don’t know what I’d do if I
ever moved back to Canada but I know exactly what I want to do in Korea… and I’m
doing it.
No comments:
Post a Comment