As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, December 08, 2012

More for Us!!!... Saturday, December 8


With less than ten minutes till the lovely ladies showed up at Mi Gung for the Flipside Fitness event – Cooking for Abs – my kitchen sink decided it wasn’t spinach friendly.  Out splattered spinach everywhere, well, that’s not exactly true, it ALL landed on my new white t-shirt… of course it did.

Haste makes waste, I know this, but I always thought it applied to the next guy.  Nope, it applies to me.  You see, that spinach that my sink was chocking on was because of me, me and my haste.  I had scrambled around to get things ready and, consequently, I let a clump of spinach escape down the drain.  Snickers tried to be the hero of the night but attacking the sink with a toilet plunger but what ended up resulting was spinach flying at me and a minor kitchen flood.  And with the doorbell ringing and me still all messy, I ran and grabbed the first thing in my clothes room to slip into. 

Recovered nicely from that minor hazard, now it was on to other hazards of the night – a kitchen of cooking women and excessive knifes, things that need to be cut, a blazing oven and an excessive amount of food. 

I won’t get into the details of the event but will say this, it was definitely right up there in my top list of favourite Flipside Fitness events, for sure!!!  The event kicked off at 4pm and went well into the evening, ending just after 9pm.  We cooked up a storm, tested out this dish and baked up this snack.  It was a lot of fun and later in the evening I even popped in a DVD of a TV show I used to be on back in the day, back in Canada.  

I perfected a new one dish wonder I made up – Popeye’s Chicken Bite.  They’re considered a one dish because they have a lean protein (chicken), a starchy carb (sweet potato) and a fibrous carb (spinach), and they were purely delish.  It is the perfect one dish wonder for the busy person on the go.  Just grab a baggie of these and nibble them on the bus, no problem. 

There were only three of us in attendance, so the night started off with me being a bit discouraged.  I’m so over trying to please the masses of Cheonan though.  They either want to come or they don’t and, as it turned out tonight, it was quite awesome that they didn’t.  It meant we all left with containers packed full of leftovers.  

No comments: