As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Continuing to Prove It... Tuesday, November 19

I'm a bad daughter, a brutal sister and the worst aunt.

It's been 3 months since I talked to my dad, 1.5yrs since I talked to my oldest brother, 3yrs since I talked to my other brother and maybe a year since I talked to my nieces. 

It has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not I miss them.

I know my family doesn't want me to live in the Philippines but I know they also struggle with wanting me to be happy, despite it mean I don't really fit into their lives or have a part in it.  I know after I returned from Korea, they really thought my traveling and moving around was done.  I know they thought I was there for good, there to settle down, but then I got up and left again. 

I left for 3 months and then just never came back. 

I miss my family more than they could imagine but it does nothing but bring me down and make me struggle with what I'm doing here when I think of them.  And so, consequently, I try to stay super hyper focused on my work here.  

You'll very rarely here me going out for anything beyond business and training. 

I want to be able to return to Canada and be able to justify why I left everyone for three years.  I want to show them something that makes up for the missed memories and lost time together that I spent apart.  I'm feeling the pressure to continue to work at full speed now, now that I'm anticipating visiting Canada in some 32 or so days. 

It's a lot of pressure.

No comments: