As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, November 22, 2019

Love Those Lil' Sistas... Friday, November 22

It's the next day and I'm able to talk about it now.

Yesterday I returned from Holy Family Home on such a positive high about getting the girls new mattresses and spending such an amazing afternoon with them all.  But then I crashed.  

I texted Skittles "I can't stop crying" and it was true.

I sat on my clubhouse stairs and cried.

To tell you the truth, 9 out of 10 times when I see the Lil' Sistas, I cry or at least get teary-eyed and choked up but every time I box with them, I cry.  I had written about that in an earlier post, how I come home on this massive high and then crash.  I still remember the first time I met the girls at the Center of Hope.  They had made such an impression on me and I felt devastated and so upset about their stories that even just thinking of them made me get choked up.  I was like that for a solid 2 weeks after first meeting them.  

Yesterday's time with them was suppose to be no more than an hour.  I was only there to monitor the delivery of the new mattresses and then leave.  But what evolved was me staying there for about 5 hours on account of the delivery being four hours late.  It was kind of like a blessing in disguise though because it was my light day of work, my anticipated day off but not really, and it was the first time I've been able to really sit and chat with the sisters there, the nuns.  Usually I only get to interact with the Lil' Sistas so yesterday was something totally different.  It was nice.  It was really nice actually and super special to me.  I left feeling super confident about the care of these Lil' Sistas and with a new found admiration and respect for the nuns.  I didn't realize that they were so super cool and I got to connect with them and here about their former lives in India.  

They've started baking cookies as a means of raising money because they want to buy all the girls new outfits for Christmas Eve.  We estimate that it'll cost them 21,000Php for 26 little outfits.  My plan is to throw that in the HUGE Lil' Sistas Christmas event page, raise the money and get those much deserving Lil' Sistas something pretty for Christmas.  I've been looking for a little Christmas gift to buy all my fighters, sponsors and supporters but with about 30 to get for, it's been hard to figure out what to get.  I know what I'm going to get though.   So I'll raise the money for the outfits and give back to them by buying boxes of cookies as my company's Christmas gift.  It's perfect!!!

No comments: