As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, December 04, 2019

Let it Rain... Wednesday, December 4

10 people, that's how few has helped with the HUGE Lil' Sistas Christmas.  

6 are my fighters.
2 are people I have never met, one of which lives in the States.
1 person from my childhood that randomly came across me.
1 random person who saw my post on Facebook. 

Still... 10 people amongst the close to 300 on my Facebook private group page for Empowered and another over 300 on my community group page.  And then there is of course friends, family, teammates, and boxing mates.

I sat down to write out the donation list and check things off when I made this realization. 

It hit me like a brick and I cried. 

Honestly, I felt so heartbroken and so shocked.  So disgusted.  My faith in humanity crashed.  Oh man did it crash.  It took a complete nose dive and I sat there in my office chair feeling like I was going to scream, yell, punch the wall... be sick.  

If I had a million bucks, my Lil' Sistas would be the first to get it. 

I felt completely defeated, deflated, and discouraged, hence the post.

Within a few minutes of posting it though, my phone started buzzing.  People had reacted and were responding.  I don't know whether the overdose of response I got was more shocking then my initial realization of the lack of response but I went from crying to laughing and jumping up and down.  I'm sure if someone was watching me in the window, they'd think I was some kind of crazy woman.  And I felt crazy too, that's the thing.  I am so super sensitive when it comes to these little girls.  They've really changed me, my outlook on things, and I'm so completely blessed to have them in my life but I know I take everything related to them on such a more hyper sensitive note.  

Despite being overly sensitive about the lack of people, maybe my raw honestly in that post was what was needed to really let people know that their help is needed and it does matter.  That was the good in the bad situation I found myself in today and it sucked being so upset but the reaction I got was so great.  And, keep this on the low, word has it I may have actually got the much needed coffee machine for the new coffee shop the Lil' Sistas at the Center of Hope requested!!!

Holy mic drop moment about to happen!

No comments: