As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, January 03, 2020

Oh, I Wonder... Friday, January 3

Back when I lived in Toronto (Canada) and had first met Skittles, after working out at System Fitness, we used to go to Snakes & Lattes to work.  It was really the only coffee shop that was open late and only place we could really sit comfortably and work on our business proposals.  Of course at the time I was planning on launching mine within the city, in Toronto, so after the place would close for the night, more often than not we'd cruise around the streets for a bit in his jeep, checking out potential empty buildings for me to think about situating my new business.  

Since my late nights of sitting at Snakes & Latte, I have since opened up my business but I did so in the Philippines. So returning here after having successfully opened the business I once sat here slaving over was pretty cool. 

"Now we can afford the cookies that some of the staff used to give us for free", I commented.  A funny comment but a true comment.  We used to go there so often that we ended up getting somewhat familiar with the staff so they never used to charge us the "sitting fee" like they did the regular customers, being that it was a board game coffee shop.

Anyways, returning here tonight was pretty cool.

We sat at a table until a space at the bar, where we usually sat, came free.  And then from there, it was all about walking down memory lane and how our lives are so incredibly different now.  My life and business may not have turned out the way I had planned it and my business pretty much took a majorly different direction after page 4 of 49 in my business proposal, but I vouch both my life and my business ended up so much better than I could have ever imagined.  Of course this doesn't mean that I don't have things I'm working to improve or want to change some things, but sitting here at the coffee shop three years ago, I never would have imagined my life would be as great as it is now.

I wonder what I'll be thinking about my life in another three years and how differently it'll turn out in comparison to all the big plans I have for it and for my company.

No comments: