As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, January 04, 2020

One Last Meal Together... Saturday, January 4

My last night here in Canada and I arranged to have some friends hit a club with me.  But first, I headed out of town to have dinner with family.  In the morning, I headed out for breakfast with one of my friends, so today was packed with lots of dear people. 

Caught in a last workout too at System Fitness.

I love training at System and love seeing my friends, of course, but I'm really missing hitting the boxing club and training till exhaustion, just putting on flip flops in the morning to walk my dogs, and jumping on an Angkas to zoom off to where ever I want to go.  

I miss the freedom and comfort I have in the Philippines. 

Tonight, at the club, it was packed with young kids and I felt rather out of place.  I chatted with one dude who was super sweet and somehow we started talking about how he works at the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) and how I spent one of my New Year's Eves there.  But standing there talking to him, it was strange to note just how forward and aggressive not only guys but girls are here.  So there I am, standing beside Skittles, casually talking with him and this person I just met, and then along comes a string of dudes walking by.  One by one they tried to grab my hand or get my attention by winking or "accidentally" bumping into me.  Wow, I thought, I would not want to be single in this city.  I mean, we people so easily throwing themselves at each other, how do you know the good from the bad, the bad from the ugly, etc.?!  

I arrived back at my friend's condo around 1:30pm and that's when one of my friends started texting me.  I had asked him earlier if he was going to come to the club and he said he'd try.  He lives around the corner from the club which means he also lives close to where I've been staying for the past 2 weeks.  He just came back from vacation though so I thought he'd be coming out tonight after all he did contact me like a month ago, to make sure he'd be running into me.  

Turns out "running into me" meant differently to him than to me. 

Last night in the big city, here in the Great White North, and it ended with me getting a booty call.
I thought after a certain age guys grew up and stopped doing that.  I also thought he was a friend who was aware of my situation and respectful of it.  Apparently note.

#thingsIlearnedinCanada

No comments: