As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Monday, October 23

1. Walked into the staff room and totally sensed the tension... great and to think it's only Monday. Turns out one of our level 2 girls (we'll call her "The Bully") has been totally harassing one of our new students (we'll call her "The New Girl") since she arrived at our school two months ago. I'll spare you the disguistingly shocking details of what's been going on but can tell you that all were in shock today as we got word of what's been happening. Both girls are very much loved by their peers and are in fact quite popular too!
2. Today we had a huge student festival and so students and staff were so busy in the morning preparing last minute details. The school was flooded with guests and so there was a lot going on. Apparently my first period class was so busy that they forgot to show up to my English class...ㅋㅋㅋ. Only Conner showed up (he's the boy on the bottom in the above picture) and so we chatted Konglish and shared lots of laughs. 3. The student festival started off with a chocolate pie eating contest starring one of our school's set of twins, Cole and Sam. These boys are notoriously known as the school's comedians. I don't think Sam enjoyed that last chocolate pie though.. oh my gosh!4. Every class presented their talents but I was particularly shocked when some of my level 1 girls got up and busted out their dance moves! In class they're super shy and don't say a word but yet there they were, busting some somewhat provacative dance moves as if they were the next Brittney Spears!
5. A part of the festival was designated for the English pop song contest. Each class got up and performed but class 3-1 stole the show with their rendition of "Summer Nights" from the movie Grease. As Brad and Rachael sung the ending solos, all listened. It sounded so pretty! Awesome job!
6. At one point we stoped the festival for a break and as I opened the door to step outside, there stood our former principle, Mr. Ahn! He's a much loved man at Eumbong and so his surprise visit was welcomed by lots of cheering and smiling students! I miss having him here! This picture is of him (on the left) and our current principle.

7. The after school music club performed some traditional Korean music and so that was pretty interesting for me. Having studied Korean culture in university I'm always fasniated and eager to experience various aspects of their rich culture. My student Helena braved the crowd of students and sung a traditional Korean song. She stood so beautifully dressed in her humbok and her singing was just as beautiful. Unfortunetly, not all appreciated the beauty of performance and so she cried. 8. Well it wouldn't be complete unless the teachers participated! I joined Mr. Ju on stage for a magic show and then the vice principle (the man wearing the wig) joined Mr. Ju. They humored us all with their super funny rendition of a popular Korean TV show that even I am familiar with.
9. It's a miracle... our principle smiled and even giggled! He's notoriously known for his strict guidelines and expectations, and how his face never seems to show any emotion. However, today he was loving the spotlight as he sung for all of us. It sounded really good too!
10. Seeing some of my boys dressed as the ugliest girls I've ever seen was quite disturbing but funny. Tony (the one in the black and white skirt) really was loving it as the crowd clapped and laughed so he flashed us some leg... too much leg though... ㅋㅋㅋ. The festival was a huge success but it ended at 8pm!

QUESTION OF THE DAY...

What are we going to do with her?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

-- Author Unknown

No comments: