As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Highlights of my Day... Monday, October 9

1. School resumed today and so I returned to a school packed with overly hyper students. As much as I do like holidays, it's always nice returning. I'm convinced I have the best students in Korea. Their English may be bad but the always make me laugh.
2. Apparently some of my students did study English during their time off but their studying consisted of watching American English movies and practicing their slang. During my preptime, some of my boys barged into my empty classroom and amused me with their new discovered slang. Ha, ha, ha, .... "Hey baby!", "What's up, yo?", "Yo homes!", ... and the funniest by far was "Let's get down and funky!" Ha, ha, ha.. what movies were they watching?!
3. In anticipation of the upcoming massive winter break I have, I got overly excited and started planning a trip back to Canada. I thought I'd be able to be with my family for Christmas but this hope was quickly crushed. Turns out my holidays don't start till December 29th. But... It's official... I am staying in Korea next year. I know in my heart I am not ready to give up Korea. It is now my home. So, now the big question is, where do I want to work next year? I love my middle school but I'm really curious about landing a university job... sweet!
4. Congratulations to my middle school students... today I had the "joyful task" of telling them that they have less than a week to prepare for their big conversation test. They were suppose to have been told before the Chusuk holiday but someone forgot to tell them... not me!
5. Well no one but Princess (... seriously, that's one of my co-worker's nicknames) showed up for my Teacher/Parents' English class and so we sat around having girl chat. Our original discussion was about Chusuk but than changed. We talked about men, relationships and friends. I was particularly humored when she she tried to pass off her son to me. I hope she was joking. Nonetheless, we definitely bonded.
6. Turns out Doctor Na is out of the office today and so I had to deal with another doctor who, apparently hadn't looked at me, and so he started firing lots of questions at me. I tried my best to translate and answer correctly but he had a good giggle when he looked up at me. He looked so confused. Ha, ha, ha.
7. Well my plans for the evening were canceled out my my appointment and my daydreaming. Ventured up to my hide-away and lost about an hour or so with daydreaming about things. Lee... I totally agree with you. We're on other sides of the world but trust me, I'm going through the EXACT thing as you... and it scares me too.
8. As the doctor ordered, I didn't go to the gym today and instead, I harrassed Kim Tae with text messages while he tried to work-out...ha, ha, ha. He gave in and showed up an hour later at my apartment. All it took was for me to promise to buy him milk and he came right over,... with his clean body (inside joke)... ha, ha, ha.
9. I've never been one to read a newspaper or watch the news but today some news headings on Yahoo caught my attention...


..... North Korea tests an underground nuclear bomb... great. That's one way to harvest the rice... blow it up from the ground.
..... A Thai snake charmer kissed 19 highly poisonous king cobras in an attempt to set a world record Saturday... now there's one guy who definitely needs a new hobby or a girlfriend!
..... Man gets IgNobel Prize for his cure for stinky feet... ha, ha, ha. I'm sure Byung Hyuk and Kim Tae have something to say here... ha, ha, ha.


10. Stayed up way too late chatting, sharing music, laughing and sharing silly dance moves with Dudgeon the Curmudgeon via my webcam and msn. I think we both got a good laugh with my scooter helmet.... no, I DON'T ride on the short yellow bus.... ha, ha, ha.


QUESTION OF THE DAY...
Are you alive?

QUOTE OF THE DAY...
So I scrubbed your feet with a pared [peeled] pear... I proved our friendship.
-- Byung Hyuk

No comments: